We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

Well back from lovely Alcudia after a great 10 days and thought I would give you all a bit of a review.

For the second year running we stayed in a beautiful apartment 'Duplex Gabriella' a minute from the marina and overlooking the Dakota Steakhouse and with a side balcony view to the beach. It is an absolute gem of an apartment and a proper home from home being on two floors. There is no pool but we do get access from the owners to use the Carabella pool on the beach front which is great. We got a great deal on the Easyjet flights too at about £500 for 2 adults and 2 kids - certainly beats the travel agency fees booking separately and going on a SC basis.

We spent the days enjoying the pool and taking the kids to the beach and then at night having a wander round the beautiful marina, having some lovely meals and watching the world go by from the bars.

The best places we ate were the S'Espiga Italian Restaurant on the marina front which was a bargain at 5 Euro's per meal !!, Bodiga D'es Port at the end of the marina with their gorgeous Tapa's and lovely interior - definitely worth a wander to the end of the marina, Brunells Sports Bar which although not exactly traditional serves top notch food freshly cooked and finally Manolo's on a back street above the marina - excellent quality for little money.

The worst meal we had and also the most expensive was at the Meson Dulcinea in the marina where the tapas was greasy and poorly cooked with little taste and staff abrupt at best - a real disappointment.

Drinks wise we spent a few nights sat in Puro Port where they had entertainment on - including Flamenco Dancing which my 5 year old daughter loved.

One night we also ventured to the Pirates Show in Magaluf booked through No Frills and expertly guided by Michael the No Frills Rep who is a legend. The show costs a fair bit but worth every penny. If anyone decides to go book through No Frills and a tip don't upgrade your ticket as you get a great view regardless where sat.

Last year we split our time between the Marina and the 'strip' as the kids loved Cheers Bar. This year we could only face 1 night up that end !! What a contrast between the 2 area's and not for us I am afraid but each to their own.

Our last day saw a couple of showers and a cloudy morning but even that was great as gave us chance for a nice wander.

Overall a fantastic holiday where the kids and ourselves made some good friends. We are already thinking of returning for a third year running as Alcudia has everything a family needs - even a good health centre that saw our little lad and his bad ear infection !!

Hopefully you found my little review beneficial.

Mentioned in this post
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Meson Dulcinea
Meson Dulcinea
267 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Magaluf
Magaluf
Majorca, Spain
Cheers Bar
Cheers Bar
721 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
kendal, uk
Destination Expert
for Kendal
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

Great review Matt, enjoyed reading it. We go to alcudia this tuesday for the third time, it really is a fab place for families I agree. We have made some great friends ( who we are meeting up with this time ) over there and find that there is so much to explore !

Thanks for the restraunt reccomendations, will check them out .

can't wait to arrive now !!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

A good read.Thanks for posting.

Did I read that right? An Italian meal for 5 euros? I am a fan of Pto Pollensa and the cheapest pasta meal I have seen there is 9 euros so you can really sniff them out if as you say it was good stuff.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

Delighted you had a good time, good report. We normally go to the port end staying at the Condes de Alcudia but went along the Bellevue end this year doing self-catering at Siesta 2 apartments instead of A.I. it was our first experience of staying along that end and we found we quite enjoyed it with plenty bars, restaurants and some entertainment but we were always going to venture along to the port as it's where we're used to. I thoroughly enjoyed our holiday over there this year, different accommodation etc and it was a nice change. A friend of mine, John, a regular poster on here (finkfloydman) and his wife Angela are over there at the moment and, like us, always enjoy every minute. Alcudia is great, I'd move there in a heartbeat....if it was a year round resort. Agree with the Brunel Sports Bar, great value and massive portions. A couple of other good places to eat are Luna's Grill across from the Bellevue with entertainment most nights, Himalaya Indian/Nepalese restaurant along by the port, not much of a place to look at but the food is excellent, I think it's still the highest rated restaurant of that foodstyle in the restaurant review page and Shanghai Garden Chinese buffet place at the bottom of the Bellevue, there are three in close proximity, this one is in the middle of the three, great quality food. Anyway, great report which others, like Juby5 above and others still to go will appreciate. Wish I was still there.

Jambonian.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 17:31
Mentioned in this post
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Himalaya Indian Nepalese Restaurant
Himalaya Indian Nepalese...
856 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

Thanks for the feedback . There are a lot of posters on here who love Alcudia . I have stayed there once and to be honest didn't really rate it , but maybe that's a bit unfair . It does have a great beach but was not too impressed with the rest of it , though there are some good hotels . I might be tempted to give it a second chance one day because of some great reviews . BTW I love other resorts such as Puerto Pollensa , Cala D'or , Cala Millor , Palma Nova etc so don't really know why I didn't find Alcudia to be very good . I'm sure others will enlighten me to it's positives . Glad you had a good holiday .

Mentioned in this post
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Cala d'Or
Cala d'Or
Majorca, Spain
Cala Millor
Cala Millor
Majorca, Spain
Ireland
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

Which end do you think is the nicer end, Port end or Belleview end? Never been to Majorca before and trying to find the right sort of area. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Highlands
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

Which end of the resort totally depends on you and what you like.

I've never stayed in the port but always visit it a few times.

for me its more sophisticated and more traditional Spanish.

the strip is more of your English bars and nightlife. We always stay on the strip, just for the kids entertainment and shops for my partner.

It simply suits us better but I know that lots of people on here prefer the port. Jambonian and floydman are prob better qualified to answer questions regarding that area.

by the way. Great review, Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

Yes Wirral Scouse, an Itallian meal for 5 Euros. Regardless if it is a starter, ravioli, penne, tagliatelle, spaghetti, calzone, numerous pizzas or even the odd non Itallian meal - all 5 Euros and very nice too.

Worth a visit and bang on the marina front.

Canarytime - no competition, the Port hands down. The Alcudia experience drops as soon as you turn the corner onto the strip !

Mentioned in this post
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

Canarytime,

To compare the two ends... the port/marina I'd say, depending on what you prefer, is probably nicer, some good restaurants along the (marina) strip and up the sidestreets, great if you like to chill out and relax and enjoy "peoplewatching", a few brit bars like Smugglers, Drunken Duck, Gavin's at the port amongst others, most close around midnight/1am and some not bad shops around. There is also a crafts market alongside the boats/yachts all lit up at night and of course the beach. The Bellevue end has a larger choice of bars which are open a bit later, Jolly Roger is great for a laugh overlooking the lake and the food is pretty good too, they also do something called "rock around the pool", they have a swimming pool round the back of the bar where a band play live on Sunday afternoons while you eat, swim or just sunbathe, Cheers, Flying Scotsman, White Rose, Paco's, some Irish themed bars amongst plenty others and down to the main road heading to the beach there's Foxes Arms, Linekers and others. There are some good restaurants along the Bellevue too, Luna's Grill, Shanghai Garden, Maharaj spring to mind but I'd say the sea is better at the Bellevue end, even shallower for a long way out than the port end and sometimes there's a strong stench in the air depending on the direction of the wind at the port end.

To sum up...the Port is more chilled out, the Bellevue end livelier so depending on your preference you have a choice but I wouldn't go to Alcudia and not use both ends.

Oh, and the old town is another option for a change of scene, the narrow winding traditional Spanish streets all lit up at night and many restautants and shops/boutiques.

Mentioned in this post
The Foxes Arms
The Foxes Arms
540 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Maharaj
Maharaj
606 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Falkirk, Scotland...
Level Contributor
259 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

I really cannot fault Alcudia,we go back in 4 weeks for the 5th time and our 3rd stay at Siesta.We have been with family but this is our 1st as a couple with no kids(Yaaaaa)Yes you have the looky looky sellers but every resort has them now.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Got Back - Alcudia Holiday Review

We've booked a villa which looks to be in the Platja Mura area. Which 'end' are we in? Or are we practically in a different resort? Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Port d'Alcudia