We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Corralejo

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in Corralejo

I am currently on holiday in Corralejo. A place I have visited for more than 14 years. However my stay here has been ruined by crime - burglaries. In the past week my neighbour was robbed of electrical items, whereby the thief had entered the apartment whilst they slept and took electric items and cash, the same night I awoke at 5am to a man on the balcony looking into the window - I assume he was trying to remove the mosquito net around the window, also another neighbouring apartment was robbed, we heard gun fire. Then last night the neighbour on the ground floor was also robbed of cash and electrics. One resident reported to the police - she was spanish.unfortunately most non speaking Spanish people are not afforded this luxury as translator fee is 40 Euro an hour. Perhaps we have been unlucky. But it appears crime is going unreported thus making the Canaries a seemingly crime free zone. What are other people's views? Seems such a shame to a beautiful place. The police really needs to tackle this problem. Fortunately in the U.K. Public service police and nhs services provide a free translator service so we can provide accurate rates and information. This I am very proud of.very

Mentioned in this post
Corralejo
Corralejo
Fuerteventura, Spain
92 replies to this topic
york
Level Contributor
238 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Corralejo

Where are you staying?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Corralejo

Opportunist crimes such as this happen regularly no matter where you are in the world....it sounds as if due to poor security your apartment complex was targeted in this case.....it is not nice and causes feelings of being unsafe.....but a call to 112 ( emergency number) will put you in touch with an emergency operator ( who speaks English) and will result in a Police response....usually it is one individual who may be quickly apprehended ( if the Police actually are aware of these crimes) ....failing to report them because of the cost of a translator means the Police are unaware so unable to act !!....and apart from the UK do not know of anywhere else that offers a ´´free´´ ( well it is not really, as if you live there, you pay for the service through higher rates and taxes) translator.....sorry if it has spoiled your break but afraid it happens everywhere.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in Corralejo

I accept crime occurs everywhere. But unfortunately there is a greater increase in crime as indicated in my email. I have obtained numerous reports of the polices inability to respond in these cases, following this experience. And the ongoing fee for translation. I am fortunate nothing was stolen. My neighbour reported to the police what happened to me and my apartment. And sadly The police have not investigated further. The security at this apartment is good, but what can we do if the criminals are attempting to remove the mosquetto net. There needs to be a greater police presence to combat crime to deter crimble. So that we can all sleep safely in our beds.instead of this liaises faire attitude. That it happens everywhere. It didn't happen here in 14 years. Now buglers appears rife in Corralejo.

Mentioned in this post
Corralejo
Corralejo
Fuerteventura, Spain
Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Corralejo

Unfortunately there is a dark side to Corralejo which many visitors do not know about.There have been many recent incidents of bars being broken into-I can name them but I wont on here.Also a bar that has only been open a year,the owner was fairly recently robbed at around 10pm by a masked man. A popular bar we spend much time in was targeted & they tried to jemmy open the new doors in the small hours.

There was a murder near town beach earlier this summer.We also met (last year) a lady who was robbed/mugged in broad daylight near the pier at town beach.

Acquisitive crime seems to be on the rise particularly with the influx of certain nationalities to the island.If you are on facebook,look at the Fuerte Crimewatch page.There are often reports of burglaries,thefts from properties such as ornaments from gardens/bikes etc.Sadly these parasites prey on the laid back nature of many people who live there or are just visiting the island.

It's fair to say,always beaware of your surroundings-particularly late at night if out walking the back streets as there are some who will do you harm/try & rob you or possibly worse.Trust no one in darkness-stay in lit areas.Always secure widows/doors-do not take a chance as these parasites will (if given the opportunity) take a chance & you will be left to suffer the consequences.

I would hazard a guess that many crimes often go unreported as many ex pats or tourists do not want to engage with the local police or the GC.Two reasons primarily-distrust of them & the lingo barrier. Therefore they (local police/GC) do not get to know about the true level of crime so cannot possibly do anything about it.The only ones who gain are the vermin who commit robberies/.burglaries etc at the innocent ex pat/tourist's expense.

Mentioned in this post
Corralejo
Corralejo
Fuerteventura, Spain
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in Corralejo

Rife....sorry but get real....have you actually studied UK crime figures ??....way more than here ...as I said IF your security was good these ´´low-lifes´´ would target elsewhere...so there are failings that allow them to operate in ONE specific block on several ocassions....and if they cannot be seen from the road how is an increased Police presence going to help??? answer its NOT !!....report it ..in most cases these individuals are known to the Police locally and are usually quickly arrested and stopped....fail to report it and it will continue I am afraid...

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in Corralejo

A very defencive response, this isn't about uk crime rates or U.K. Taxes. It was simply to question if others had experienced the rise in crime. I was inaware police only patrolled roads. Perhaps the shortfall in police and crime here. As indicated earlier it has been reported to the police but I still await there investigation. Your ladies faire attitude, that it occurs everywhere is not useful. Yes it suggests a defence for current and future tourism. But doesn't help to resolve the issue. I was simply trying to air my concerns and to here others experiences. Not here a torrent of abuse about high rates of tax and to get real. I think it's time that you woke up. Ignorance is not bliss!

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in Corralejo

christinapurdyflower-ignore those comments from lanzaloca1-I always do!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in Corralejo

You asked a question....but a honest answer was not what you wanted to hear ??...OK lets take crime figures for ONE month in your hometown of Leeds in the city centre....here are the figures...884 cimes in one month in a small area..see

https:/…

Lot less here ....certainly there is a growing problem in all areas but as you can see from the UK figures it is not just confined to holiday destinations and some of these people chose to take to stealing or robbery ...not all but some... ...As mentioned crime is present everywhere....and it is not ´´laissez-faire´´ attitude if it is not investigated ,as the Police here work differently from the UK...it is the duty of an individual to report crime here...not the Police job to go looking for it ...no report= no action.As said sorry you experienced this and that it impaired your enjoyment of the island...but it happens everywhere...it is unfortunate that in this case it involved yourself, and to forewarn others is laudable...but it needs taking in context.

york
Level Contributor
238 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in Corralejo

So where are you staying?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in Corralejo

Your ongoing pursuit of uk crime and comparison to crime in Corralejo is ludicrous. I'm looking at the rise of crime here, when once there was very little crime and there is now a surge. And you are proving to all The locals defence of crime for the benefit of tourism. I still await police investigation. I see little point in furthering this discussion with you. You only highlight the concerned by myself.

Mentioned in this post
Corralejo
Corralejo
Fuerteventura, Spain
Reply to: Crime in Corralejo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corralejo