We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelers cheques

manchester
Level Contributor
375 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
travelers cheques

Can anyone tell me if they charge or take a percentage when exchanging them for euros when we are at the complex or any of there post offices cheers mnxld08.

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelers cheques

yes thay do plus its not a very good exchange rate with travelers cheques best of with euro's or use the hole in the wall

manchester
Level Contributor
375 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelers cheques

Cheers gazza might just take cash but its just the thought carrying the money around or leaving the money in there safe in the apartment im going for two weeks so im just a bit concernd im taking 1560 euros for two weeks and take my card for emergecies. And at the same time i dont want to get ripped of when exchanging travelers cheques and ive heard about the hole in the walls can be untrustworthy to use so still diciding cheers mnxld08

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelers cheques

Travelers cheques are not the best option to travel anywhere in Spain (or most of Europe for that matter). They charge a high fee everywhere you can change them and virtually anywhere they will accept them directly as payment (they will loose money when changing them to real money). Only useful as a backup, but really few people use these nowadays. I prefer to travel with a second card in case my primary one is lost/stolen (obviously carrying it in a different place). Taking money from ATMs you get usually the best rate.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelers cheques

hi manx,we have used the hole in the wall in spain, portugal, the canarys x2 isles,cananda,for over 8yrs now and never once had a problem with miss charging or losing a card in the machine. the rate in fuereventura just now is 1.31eu,far better than it is here. i think we are getting 1.28 in the exchanges.we go away twice a year and last year 5 times,twice to spain once to portugal and this coming trip, (the other one was cuba but there was no machines there and it was al/in so no need for money accept for tip money.) i don't think i will ever go back to taking checks or the like and the hassle of getting them changed.but i can see why you don't want to carry all that monet about or leave it in the safe. you could leave one weeks money in the safe and split the other weeks money up between you and your other half ,i hope you arrive at a solution you are happy with. buchananglasgow

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelers cheques

sorry about all the spelling mistakes but had a very hard day at work and then 2hrs study when i got home , so the brain has now had enough, buchananglasgow

manchester
Level Contributor
375 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelers cheques

Cheers everyone for your advice i think i might take first weeks in cash then use the hole in the wall for the second week just got tickets today so come three weeks this friday ill be smiling lol glasgow three weeks tomorrow you will be smiling cheers mnxld08

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelers cheques

yea manx, i pick my tickets up on thurs when i get a day off to go to collage at night-time.they are at the shop just now but not had time to go pick them up. can't wait another 21 days, just keep looking at the pictures on here and go to bed dreaming of the sun.you migght be interested in a web site i found about three wheeled bikes (trikes)they do trips at the next resort if you are going to be driving , as we are only there for a week we won't drive anywhere but you might . have a look , they have seats for you to sit on as a passenger and they will drive. type in fuertetrikes, see what comes up .buchananglasgow

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travelers cheques

Hi Buchananglasgow, how do you find out what the current euro rate is at the moment over in Fuerteventura. Just we are hanging on before getting our euro's in the UK, hoping that the rate is going to improve. We are not going until 1st March.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,204 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelers cheques

£1 is equivelant to 1.339 euro this morning, pretty miserable i know....gonna get mine today , cos i am off on saturday for 2 lovely weeks..

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: travelers cheques

Hi bgekk, where have you got that rate from - everywhere I seem to look its 1.28. Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Corralejo