We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cockroaches

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
837 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Cockroaches

Thinking of staying at Dunas Club apartments in Dec for 1 week. I read a lot of reviews on another forum and everyone appears to have problems with cockroaches. I am absolutely petrified of them and hope someone can give me an honest opinion ..... is the place crawling with them? I know Tenerife is really abd for them.

Many Thanks.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,398 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cockroaches

Hi Karen

I have lived in Tenerife for 4 years and in all that time I have only ever seen 2 cockroaches.

I think the answer to your question is that cockroaches are nocturnal by nature so you will only see them at night. They spend the day hiding in cracks around areas like sinks, drains, cookers. The reason they are there is because of the lack of hygiene. If your hotel is of a good standard and the reviews say it is clean then there will not be any cockroaches around (other than the occasional Rambo!). If however you choose an old establishment you are more likely to find them. It is not the fact that the building is old more that the owners who obviously can't be bothered to refurb also can't be bothered to carry out the 6 monthly spraying which is necessary in hot weather areas to control pests.

The last time I was in Fuerteventura the Dunas Club was an acceptable complex but that was a couple of years ago and things change.

The reviews on this website seem to indicate that overall people who have been there are reasonably happy. I scanned the first 10 reviews and only one mentioned a cockroach in 1 apartment. That is more likely to have been there because the occupants left scraps of food around overnight rather than clear everything away. Here is the link

tripadvisor.com/…

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
837 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cockroaches

Thanks for your reply. They always just seem to be everywhere on every holiday that I take.

I read some reviews on another website and nearly every review mentioned cockroaches, particularly on the ground floor apartments.

I would never return to Tenerife because of them. The past 2 times I have been to Las Americas, it has been filthy and they were everywhere! Mind you, a friend of mine stays in Los Gigantes and has not seen very many in all the years she has been there. Like you say, probably just depends on how clean the hotel/resort is.

Thanks.

DUBLIN
Level Contributor
412 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cockroaches

i know how you feel about cockroches had the same problem last year in lanzarote and it is not funny ,

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cockroaches

never go to gran canaria oct/nov. it is the mating season and they fly. huge and i mean huge females . millions of them and you cannot walk on the pavement at night for treading on them. i never slept for 14nts when i was there. we have stayed in the dunas apartments and it was in feb, but i never seen even one cockie. maybe there are only on the ground floor, just ask the tour company for an upper level. bg

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
837 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cockroaches

Yeah, Gran Canaria is awful for them. We had them running up our bedroom curtains one night. I also never slept that holiday and was gald to be home. I don't like going to The Canaries much because of them but have seen a good deal for Dec for my mum and I as a wee break before xmas.

It may sound ridiculous, but cockroaches put me off going to certain places (especially canaries).

AHHHHHH - decisions, decisions.

Thanks.

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cockroaches

karenbaby i have to disagree with you there about cockroaches in the caneries, as ive been to tenerife and fuerteventura and never seen 1 cockroach, it all depends on where you stay, if the place is dirty than yer you will see them,

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,398 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cockroaches

Referring to buchananGlasgow - why did your cockroaches stay on the ground floor if they can fly - do they not have a head for heights. If so then the answer is always ask for a room on 1st floor or above !! (lol)

DUBLIN
Level Contributor
412 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cockroaches

thank-you everybody i am glad now i am not the only one who couldnt sleep and i was right they fly i can still see them running around the apartment amd my daughter screaming her head off, and it is in my mind now for going away in oct wont be able to relax

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cockroaches

Went to Dunas Club last September and saw not cockroaches there, only saw 1 the whole week and that was around the harbour.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cockroaches

we never had cookie in the dunas apartments in fuerteventura. the time we had them was in gran canaria in oct/nov. we have been to tenerife also and never had a problem with them. in gran canaria they were everywhere, inside the drawers and in your cloths and suitcases and in the bedroom at night time. some of them were almost an inch long and that is not an imagination. we were told that it is only the females that fly and you literally had to walk on them as you walked along the pavement as there was so many you could not avoid crunching them. bg

Get answers to your questions about Corralejo