We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid Euro Cards

Which Corralejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Prepaid Euro Cards

Hi - I was thinking of using one of these cards when I 'm in Corralejo. Some in particular offer a free ATM withdrawal fee when used in the eurozone - has anyone used these before? I normally take cash/travellers cheques but understand travellers cheques are becoming a thing of the past! Any advice greatly received. Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid Euro Cards

Hi

I recently obtained a prepaid euro card from www.caxtonfx.com. It would appear to be one of the best available. No monthly fee, free to load and free to obtain cash when abroad...ie no ATM charges. Did it all on line and used it recently in Corralejo. Dead simple !

Essex
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid Euro Cards

thank you for that - if there is money left on the card when you return home is that easy to get back or not?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid Euro Cards

Hi

That might be a problem, if you withdraw cash in the UK it would be subject to a fee. Best thing to do is load the card with the amount of cash you think you will need and then draw it out through the holiday. Keep a careful note of how much your taking out as the ATM might not be able to give you a balance. One advantage of taking it out in several transactions is that you dont end up having the worry of lots of cash with you or in your hotel room.

One thing I have just remembered is that with Caxton you pay an inital fee of £10 sterling, but that is credited to your card. So remember to take an additional 10 euros out...as i recall this left me with about 0.90 cents on the card...lets face it...if you bring back a few euros, its always useful next time your away.

Manchester
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid Euro Cards

Hi,

Just been to Corralejo, used a Thomson prepaid card.

Absolutely loads of cash machines where you can withdraw your Euro's, which is great

Downside is you don't get a balance at the cash point, so check before hand what the charges are and what you take out daily, because you may think you have a few Beer tokens left in the bank, but it will not let you take them out...

We stayed at Oasis Papagayo and had a combination of cash, debit card, travellers cheques and pre paid. They only charge 2% on travellers cheques. The best option I found was my Nationwide account card as you get the best rate and no charges. At the time we were there the rate at home was €1.10 and thru the card we got €1.17, every little helps as they say. Hope this helps and have a great time.....we did!

Edited: 05 July 2010, 23:39
Essex
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid Euro Cards

Thank you for all your replies really helpful :-)

6. Re: Prepaid Euro Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 08:26