We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire or not?

Which Corralejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire or not?

Advice needed please; we are a family of 4 adults, 2 children and a baby we are staying at a villa at Bahiazul villas, Corralejo for two weeks from the last week in August. Our dilemma is weather or not to hire a vehicle and if we do where is the best /cheapest place to hire. The Corralejo forum indicates that it is walkable in and out of town from where we are staying, but with 3 children in tow we are not sure? Also we need to get from the airport to the resort. Do we need a car or get transfers and pay for taxi's to get around. Normally I would not hesitate to hire but a large vehicle for 7 people I am guessing is going to be expensive.

Manchester
Level Contributor
163 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire or not?

Hi,

To be fair it is quite a walk away, not sure I would be happy doing it with three children, like you say a car would be quite expensive, and shuttle transfers are really reasonable, there's not much else on the Island to see so I suppose it depends if you are just staying in the resort of wanted to get out and about, I've not stayed that far up to be honest but I seem to think there is a bus that stops up that way so you could use that for going into the centre and back.

Hopefully somebody who's stayed up that neck of the woods can help.

Vicky

Essex
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire or not?

Thank you Vicky for taking the time to reply.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire or not?

Hi

I know these villa's and they are a good walk from the centre of Corralejo and the beaches....at least 45 mins, not much fun with kids and a baby in tow. Taxi's into the resort are cheap, about 5 euros, but if you travel together as a group you will need 2 . It might be worth considering transfers and then a car hire in resort. Have a look at Travel Republic for transfers or

www.fuertetrips.com they are excellent. One advantage of having a car is that you could shop at the Hyper Dino's in Corralejo which are the cheapest.There is a supermarket near the villa's but it is expensive. Pehaps you could hire a small car...it might mean extra running around for the driver but the town centre and the beaches are only a few minutes away.

Have a look at Cicar's website or Cabrera Medina, both are cheap if you pre book.

Have fun !

Halifax, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire or not?

Hi

We have just come back from Bahiazul and i would definately recommend a car. There is a supermarket about 10 minutes walk but it is very expensive and very limited stock. The walk to the beaches near the Riu hotels would take 45 mins and the path is not good especially with a push chair. The beaches there are excellent. We used cicar hire company and picked it up from the airport. We booked it on line before we went. We used the Hyper dino supermarket and it had a good range of food.The restaurant on the site is very good and the staff very friendly. We found driving around the island quite easy, the roads are very quiet. We personally would have been stuck without the car. Hope this is of some help.

Essex
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire or not?

Thank you very much for this information. We have now booked transfers from and to the airport as hiring a 7 seater vehicle was over 1100 euros for a fortnight. But I think you are right about a car, I think we will have to hire a small car the fortnight and do two runs each time we go to the beach or in to the town. The information about the supermarket was also very helpful. Do you have any other tips or recommendations please especially regarding restaurants and entertainment?

Essex
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire or not?

Hi

Thank you for your help, we did use your link to book our airport transfers with Pheonix-transfers. I think you are right about hiring a car and it is our intention to hire a small car when we get there, if we get there now with the possibility of an air traffic strike on the 18th for 3 days (we fly on the 21st).

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire or not?

Hi

There is a wide range of restaurants in Corralejo, if you have a look at them

on this site there are some useful reviews. All of them are child friendly and most are of a good standard. Some of our favourites are Sotavento, La Playita, 5th Avenue and Avenida. If you like Indian try Fazzs down by the harbour and for a Chinese try the slow boat buffet. You will be given a copy of the Grapevine at the airport, most of these restaurants are on the map included. As regards entertainment....for children its mostly hotel based.I can tell you that the Oasis Zoo at La Lajita is excellent. This is in the South of the island and you can book it up in resort. The Baku water park is not far from where your staying, but this get mixed reviews regarding value for money. Check out previous posts on this forum.

If you like live music, there are several places we visit, the Rock Cafe on the main street, its the first one you will probably hear. Also Imagine and Rock Island. These are more suited for adults rather than young children.

I hope you not caught up in the ATC strike....good luck.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire or not?

Hi

There is a wide range of restaurants in Corralejo, if you have a look at them

on this site there are some useful reviews. All of them are child friendly and most are of a good standard. Some of our favourites are Sotavento, La Playita, 5th Avenue and Avenida. If you like Indian try Fazzs down by the harbour and for a Chinese try the slow boat buffet. You will be given a copy of the Grapevine at the airport, most of these restaurants are on the map included. As regards entertainment....for children its mostly hotel based.I can tell you that the Oasis Zoo at La Lajita is excellent. This is in the South of the island and you can book it up in resort. The Baku water park is not far from where your staying, but this get mixed reviews regarding value for money. Check out previous posts on this forum.

If you like live music, there are several places we visit, the Rock Cafe on the main street, its the first one you will probably hear. Also Imagine and Rock Island. These are more suited for adults rather than young children.

I hope you not caught up in the ATC strike....good luck.

Essex
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire or not?

Once again thank you very much, you have been very helpfull, I have taken a note of these restaurants.

10. Re: Car hire or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Corralejo
Recent Conversations