We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you visiting Corralejo

Corralejo, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are you visiting Corralejo

Hi

I am not normally a grumbler so please don't take this as a negative remark. I live and work in Corralejo and my job is a PR which is a public relations role on the island for one of the bar/clubs, Waikiki. I am not a pushy PR, I merely ask people if I can pass them some free house cocktail tickets in the hope that they decide to visit the bar.

Unlike many people here on Trip Advisor, there are some tourists who are not in the slightest bit interested in knowing anything about the island or the bars/restaurants. This is fine, I am not criticising this, however the rudeness that us PR's sometimes receive is quite shocking. We are only doing our job and we are trying to help the tourists, not hound them.

However, there are some lovely people who I meet each night and I receive some very nice manners if they don't in fact want to take a ticket. I met a couple on here a week ago and they have already come to see me to say hello and have a chat. We don't bite guys, we have feelings too and we want you to make the most of your holiday and our beautiful island.

I speak for all the PR's in Corralejo as I know for a fact that every single one of them is decent. When you come to Corralejo, you will no doubt walk past La Plaza where 7Pints, Wok, Mexican Cantina and Rock Cafe are all situated. There are 3 PR's there, myself, Hassan and Roberto. We are pleasant and helpful with any kind of question you may have. We love it when people stop to talk to us and we love it even more when they smile. (You would't believe some of the miserable faces we've seen this year). Incidentally, we are not working on commission, we are contract paid so it isn't as if we HAVE to get people into the bars/restaurants.

It's not a rant as such as just a gentle reminder that we work very hard to make sure our island is kept pleasant and friendly (unless you happen to steal Hassan's chocolate).

Any of you visiting in the future please stop by and say hi. It's always great to make new friends.

uk
Level Contributor
206 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

Hi Rachel, I guess a lot of people (including ourselves) get a bit fed up with being 'acosted' whilst out enjoying a pleasant walk in the evening/nightime. If it was only one or two then it wouldn't be such a problem but as you know it's every few yards/street corner.

I do understand that places off the main strip need to work harder than others to pull the punters in and all I can suggest is that you keep smiling and don't take the 'grumpy' ones to heart.

There may also be the suspicion that you're approaching to try and 'sell' timeshare/holiday club.

We ate at the Waikiki twice two years ago and have to say the service/attitude of the waiters was pretty bad, (although the food was great) hopefully it's changed by now.

oldham
Level Contributor
335 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

I'm sure you do a great and friendly job Rache but I, like many I imagine, immediately assume a place is no good if they need to employ somebody to get people in.

Sorry.

Corralejo, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

Hi guys

Yes, I totally agree with the 'accosting' statement. I assure you I am not one of those people and don't take the negativity to heart, it comes with the job to expect rudeness sometimes, it doesn't make it an excuse for rudeness though. I work for Waikiki Nightclub so the restaurant has nothing to do with me, however, your comments will be relayed to my Manager as we don't want that kind of reputation in the restaurant. Sadly, you are not the first to mention this kind of attitude in there. Definitely no excuse for that.

Timeshare people can be a problem. There is only one company who are 'legally' allowed to function here in Corralejo and they only work in the daytime. Whilst some and myself consider this to be a 'con', I am by no means attemtping to con anyone by passing them a drinks ticket.

Like I said in the first post, it's not a grumble as such, just wanted to know other peoples takes on my question and to say hello to any future visitors.

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

hi rach, i myself an my family love corralejo an we have been going for the past 3 years, there is 1 pr i cant stand an he is a bloke in his mid 40s maybe? an he does nothing but pester you to go in his club/bar/resturant we walk down the town 1 night an got pestered by him then walked back up an hour later an he tryed again, then we had to walk back down again as my girlfriend wanted to go back to a certain shop an he tryed again so 3 times in a space of 2hours? surely you people must reconise faces? cos this fella dont, im not haveing a nag at you or anything as you sound great at what you do! an next time we are over i will be comeing to say a big hello!

its just that some touts can get very annoying!

Corralejo, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

Gazzer

I am pretty sure I know exactly who you mean. The person in question, shall we say, 'likes a drink or two' ...... visual recognition is something he hasn't quite got the hang of. Very amusing to us lot but not so much for the tourists. I suggest (in the nicest possible way) you ask him has he got a licence to amuse people in this way?

Looking forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

hithere we are visiting from 14 th /21 wiht our lively 4 yr old could you tell me if your bars etc will be suitable to bring her thanks cant wait .

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

Hi Rachel, while I found the sheer numbers of PR people a bit tiresome after a while, most were very pleasant not at all 'in your face'. We always smiled and took all the leaflets we were offered, even succumbing a few times to persuasion. I loved our meal at Cantina Mexico. There was one guy though down towards the harbour who got in our way a bit, trying to persuade us to eat at his restaurant every time we passed by. I'm cool with a little PR as long as they don't majorly invade my personal space. Glad they were mostly like you sound.

Corralejo, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

Hi

7Pints is a very friendly and family orientated bar. It is spacious and has a lovely outside seating area which also has plenty of activities to keep the kids amused, even the adults (depending on your aspect of fun). Plenty of restaurants surround this bar so you could actually have a fun filled night out without venturing anywhere else. 7Pints has entertainment every night (apart from Sunday - we all need a rest), there are Parrot Shows, Acrobats, Karaoke, Blues Brothers, Michael the Showman, amongst many other entertaining events. The kids all love it and it gives the adults abit of holiday time in a relaxed and safe environment. I look forward to meeting you and Sharon in 7Pints will make sure you are well looked after.

Thanks for the positive PR comments, we aim to please, not aim to hassle. I think the English PR's seem to get the 'non hassling' rule, the Spanish and Morrocans can be a little pushy but that's only through lack of communication.

corralejo
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

hi there a lively 4 year old..........seven pints has great family entertainment for all ages the location is in the plaza which is family orientated with quality restaurants and childrens play area.....pop in and say hello

hednesford
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are you visiting Corralejo

hi

were travelling to corralejo in january for the first time staying at the hotel arena just wondered if all the bars etc are still open and is the weather still fairly warm?

thanks

Get answers to your questions about Corralejo
Recent Conversations