We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving on the right side of the road

Which Corralejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Driving on the right side of the road

Hi, travelling over with my mother on Monday and was considering renting a car versus getting a taxi.

Taxi is approx 80 return and the car rental is 76 euro. My only worry is the whole driving on the other side of the road. Ive had a full license approx 4 years. Is is difficult to manage first time, any tips?

Not planning to to too much driving while on holidays, mainly too and from airport, up to flag beach, maybe a little spin somewhere.

Or would it just be easier to reply on taxi's? (we do arrive In late on Monday night)

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

Hi

I would say hire a car.....i know if can be a bit nerve racking first time...but if you have to start somewhere abroad, Fuerteventura is a good choice as the roads are about as quiet as anywhere.....you just have to keep thinking...do the opposite from UK roads and take extra care....rememeber always keep your licence and hire docs with you and watch your speed ! !

Its a simple drive to and from Corralejo...try driving over to El Cottillo for the day.

dublin
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

Thanks for the advice, would much rather have the car but was just abit nervous about the driving, especially about getting out Of airport.

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
841 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

I'll agree with Warwickshire - take it easy, look both ways at junctions, then look again!

The roads in Corralejo are pretty straightforward, and the route from the airport is good, and well signposted.

We moved to live in Spain a few years ago (back now but thats another story) and we drove down in our newly acquired left hand drive MPV, so my foray into the world of driving on the wrong side of the road started at Calais. I now actually feel more comfortable driving a left hander, it seems to suit my coordination better for some strange reason.

If you think you may struggle with coordination, it may be worthwhile considering hiring an automatic car, at least then you don't have the panic of worrying where the heck the gearstick has gone as you move your left hand down to find it - and opening your window instead LOL

Just relax, and enjoy the experience!

Good luck!

Edited: 04 June 2011, 13:30
dublin
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

Thank you.

Might do a few laps around the car park before leaving airport, and sticky tape my hand to the gear stick lol.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

You will be fine and having a car gives you so much more independence and opportunity to explore places inaccessible by public transport.

I almost always hire a car wherever we go and it gives you o much more freedom.

Just remember - the steering wheel always goes in the centre of the road.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
940 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

Within 30 minutes i am sure you will feel fairly comfortable driving on the right, its quite surprising how fast the brain adjusts. Just try to keep calm and dont worry if you make a wrong turn because the island is small and you will soon be heading in the right direction again.

The road layout is pretty straight forward leaving the airport, you basically get a choice of north or south.

Most of the time you will find the roads quite but like in any country you get the boy racers who stick to your bumper until they get a gap to overtake, just ignore them and drive at your own pace and you should find it a pleasent experience. Once you get to corralejo the roads will become a little more congested but you should have the hang of it by then.

I prefer driving in Fuerteventura as there is much less traffic. Try to make use oof the car as there are many places worthwhile of a visit.

who are you hiring the car with? search this forum for hire companys to avoid

dublin
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

Thank you.

Feel much more calmer about it. Thinking of booking with auto reisin ( think that's the correct spelling) they seem to be the cheapest.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
940 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

I used Auto reisen last year and i am using them agian in september this year, probably for the same reason as you, they are the cheapest hire company with cars at the airport.

Make sure you check the car for legal tyres and any obvious leaks from underneath before you set off.

last year i had 2 cars that were not fit for the road, i eventually got a brand new car at the end of day 2. if i had looked properly before i left the airport i would of noticed both earlier cars were leaking fluid. One leaking brake fluid and then the next car with a serious engine oil leak.

Auto Reisen also allow you to bring back the car with the same amount of fuel as you set off with when alot of companys will just charge you for a full tank even if you bring it back full up.

Auto Reisen have a luggage side office window so make sure you collect your car keys before the luggage arrives :)

happy holidays

dublin
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

Thanks,

Will let u know how it goes. If u see anything on the news about car driving on wrong side of road in fuerteventura, you can assume it was me :)

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
841 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving on the right side of the road

OMG, I just realised we'll be out there at the same time! We go Wednesday!

Will certainly make sure I look to see who is driving before I cross the road in front of any cars hahahah! Only joking, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine!

:)

Get answers to your questions about Corralejo