We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting car

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
949 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
renting car

thinking of renting a car,have never drove on the right hand side before! are the roads on the island busy? is driving pretty much safe? i have seen some some driving in turkey and its mayhem!!

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting car

ive never drove over in fuerteventura as only been driveing 1 year so far, but to be honest i dont think ur have a problem driveing there the roads are very quiet, ive been to turkey an yes turkey roads are crazy now u cant compare the two, as for being safe id love to say yes, but end of day no road can be safe as there is many idiot drivers in this world,

Edited: 04 August 2011, 18:31
London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting car

The roads are very good and not too busy but it could depend on what time of the year you are going. I can recommend Cabrera Medina and also Payless for car hire.

Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting car

Bazza.

Fuerteventura is a good place to try driving on the right for the first time.

Good roads, good singage (all international standard very like at home) and really low traffic volumes. No mad big cities with 5 lane roundabouts. It is amazing how fast you adapt to having the gear stick on the right. Also going the 'wrong' way around roundabouts comes as 2nd nature because you are on that side of the road. Also there are not the hairy mountain roads, with sheer drops and really narrow village roads you get in other places.

The journey to Correlejo is a really easy trip vitrually turn right out of the airport and keep going :)

My tips:

Better if your first journey isn't in the dark!

Take your time when you pick the car up, make sure you know how everthing works: lights, opening boot, opening fuel tank! obviously wipers and indicators.

Plan jour journey before you leave. I love google street view, you can navigate your way around complicated junctions before you get there (ok there are no complicated junctions on Fuerteventura but in general)

Best price/value I could get for the end of August was Auto Reisen, cheaper than others by 10-20%. Office at the airport, all included except the usual trims,tyres, undercarriage..fuel policy bring back with same ammount of fuel. They get a good crit here and I have used them in Tenerife.

Compared to the Nass road and Dublin city centre it is like paradise and they have lane discipline!

Mentioned in this post
Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands, Spain
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Corralejo, Spain
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: renting car

Hiya,

I drive daily over here and it is overall really easy. Parking in town can be a bit of a bother as mostly it is street parking, so get practicing your parallel parking skills :-). And when in Corralejo a lot of the side streets off the main road use one way systems.

Also just a word of warning, pedestrians will just walk out onto the zebra crossings (they have the right of way) so keep your eyes peeled when driving through town!

Oh and don't be surprised if no-one uses lane discipline when going around islands, they haven't been here that long so the outside lane is used for everything LOL.

Kim @ Caffe Latte :-D

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
949 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting car

thanks for the great tips,i think i will just rent a car for a day or two to explore the island.i am still bit nervous but think i will give it a go.i am sure i will pick it up quickly! suppose the main thing is to take my time and be alert! i have no problem driving in dublin city centre so corralejo should be be piece of cake ha!! thanks for all the help guys.slan!

6. Re: renting car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Corralejo