We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sudden illness

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
sudden illness

I am travelling to Corrajelo two weeks from tomorrow and have suddenly developed gall bladder problems ie. pain, nausea etc...I am waiting for an ultrasound. My worry is that If i take ill in Corrajelo. Is there a general surgical hospital nearby in case of emergency? I suppose that it is unlikely to take ill whilst away but I cannot help but wonder if I should perhaps cancel my holiday. The Doctor says that it should be ok but I do not want to take any chances.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sudden illness

Hi,there is a medical center in Corralejo-Dr Kirsten Werner-main st & easily found.Hope you wont need him!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,423 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sudden illness

You need to let your travel insurers know, and check if they will cover you for it. If they won't you'll have to rely on your EHIC.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sudden illness

Yes, I am going to tell my insurance company now. But is there a large hospital with a surgical department instead of a medical centre in case of an emergency arising? Over cautious perhaps but not wanting to travel with a newly diagnosed problem which is giving me current problems. Thanks for the feedback.

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
905 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sudden illness

There is an A&E (Urgencias) on the top street - you need to follow the main street round past the Shell garage and up the hill and its just up the top. Not used it but I've heard they are very good.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sudden illness

Hi

The simple answer is to cancel and not travel.........the EHIC and your medical insurance will only cover emergency treatment.......a possible pre-existing condition which you are aware of is unlikely to be covered unless specifically noted in your policy

,The Canarian government is having a major clampdown of the use of EHIC cards since the medical budget here has been cut by several billions of euros.

The nearest hospital with surgical facilities is in the capital....Puerto del Rosario

see

…gobiernodecanarias.org/sanidad/scs/mapa.jsp…

for a list of health centres and hopitals.....click on Fuerteventura.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 20:25
dewsbury uk
Level Contributor
626 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sudden illness

Whatever you do, do NOT use the Brisamar Medical Centre at the top of the main street in Correlejo.......If urgent get a taxi to take you to Urgencias in Puerto Rosario. Excellent reports. As for Brisamar I can speak from personal experience...

Cardiff
Level Contributor
395 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sudden illness

To me it would be a case of cancel as per number 5

8. Re: sudden illness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Corralejo