We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Topic
Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

Hi, we are thinking of staying here next April/May. A few questions please:

1.The Director General is saying how improved the beach area now is with the new Chill Out zone over the sea. What's it like?

2. TV reception in room, can you receive a reasonable selection of English speaking channels, or is it news channels only? We've had both when staying in the Canaries.

3. Is there a book exchange facility?

4. Where is the nearest supermarket?

Many thanks

m.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

I can't really help with 2 or 3 as I've never stayed there, though I did read something about them extending their TV offer to several British channels from the previous BBC World only offer.

But the beach is definitely improving all the time. I don't know if you have to pay extra for the chill-out zone but it's certainly very plush. They've put decking out over the sea (a sort of mini pier) and glass screens to cut down the wind and there are white leather sofas everywhere. I'm hoping this is just the start as they're putting a similar pier in the other side. Hopefully then they'll bring in some more sand and maybe take up some of the stones. The rock pools are great but it's nice to have a clear sandy entry to the sea for the sake of your toes, and certainly for kids.

The El Campenario shopping centre isn't a great distance away. It has a supermarket, shops, bowling alley and other games area, bars and restaurants, children's play area (bouncy castles etc) on the roof, flea market on Sat am and enormous craft market on Sun am, live music most days...

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

Thanks Sheila, that's very helpful.

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

Stayed at the hotel 3-4 times. The beach at the Hotel is not good. It is on the east side of the hotel and gets the shade very early in the afternoon. The pool areas are good but surrounded on all sides by rooms. However, you are only a short (10 minute) walk from some excellent beaches as you head away from the town.

TV channels are limited, but there is the equivalent of "Fox" whih shows American drama's. We found we were rushing home fr "The Good Wife!"

Not the sort of place for lots of books, but there were a few.

There is a supermarket within walking distance of the hotel, about 5 mins, "Hyperdino" which has all you will need at reasonable prices.

If you want a bargain, book the "Romantic" break add on on the hotel web site. It costs about £120 extra, but you get a set meal in the posh restuarant (try the Japanese Tapenyaki, good fun), plus a set lunch by the pool, plus an evening dinner in the buffet restaurant, plus Cava and Choccies on arrival, plus one Spa treatment (Hot mud). The meal in the Japanese is normally about £60, lunch would be say £30, with the last buffet lunch say £40, so you are quids in! prices do not include drinks!

If you book a sea view room, ask for one on the first or second floor, otherwise all you see is the wall at the edge of the garden. Lateral Sea views are good value. Don't upgrade to a Sea view suite, they aren't worth it! I highly recommend this hotel.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

I forgot to say that many of the local British-run bars here run book exchanges. If you don't have one to exchange then you can buy one for 1-2€.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

Hi Jez, we are a family of 5, thinking of booking this hotel at end of Oct. There seem to be some mixed reviews. Can you tell me:

a) which rooms have best views (we might go for the family room) would be good to know where to ask for

b) are there nice sand beaches nearby?

c)what's hotel food like?/what about restaurants in Corralejo?

d)sporty things to do with teenagers?

Any advice much appreciated. Looking to book this quickly!

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

Hi Sheila,

We are a family of 5, (3 kids aged 11,13,14) 2 boys and a girl. Any recommendations. Also, the reviews for this hotel seem a bit mixed, should I be nervous if I book. Can you recommend things to do from the hotel, any day trips that could be fun? We are going end of October, what will weather be like? Any tips? Are the beaches all rocky or any sand nearby?

Much appreciated first timers to Corralejo!

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

I was round that way this afternoon and noticed there's a sign to a small supermarket (one of the 'express' ones that will have quite a small range) very close to the hotel. I'm sure staff can give you the details.

I know the reviews are mixed - I've never been inside but I can say my view of it from the outside is very mixed, too. It looks as though it was once very grand, but I'm not so sure it is any more. It hasn't helped that the big supermarket and shopping centre just across the road, along with the planned large tourist complex, never got to the finished stage. It's one big building site over there, marked for demolition once a buyer is found. I'm also not sure how suitable it is for adolescents - it sounds fine for tinies but there doesn't seem to be much for older kids. To be honest, as you've quite a high budget, I wonder whether you wouldn't be better off renting a villa with private pool etc close to the centre of town, and eating out as often as you wish. I've been eating out twice a week for over a year and haven't got bored yet (still some places yet to visit). Then the kids would be near enough to everything to do their own thing sometimes. But that's only my opinion. :)

The beach directly in front of the hotel is mainly sandy but rocky near the waterline, meaning there are plenty of rock pools but limited sandy access to the water (quite a narrow channel). Similar beaches are to be found on the walk into Corralejo town, with a couple of very nice sandy bays. Walk away from the town for a few minutes and you'll reach the end of the built-up area, which marks the beginning of the dunes beaches - 16 km, I believe, of beach, dunes, rock pools... The town beaches get quite busy (never Benidorm-style though) but you can choose between company or isolation on the dunes beaches.

There's every type of water-sport in the area (surfing and wind/kite-surfing, SUP, canoeing, diving...) and various tourist excursions, though Corralejo is more of a "see for yourself" place for the more independent travellers. A hire car would be a really good idea - hire it online from the airport for best prices as the airport is 40 minutes' drive away so transfers are expensive. One excursion that I'd really recommend is to Lanzarote for the day, taking in (at least) the Timanfaya volcano. Something for everyone in that trip: a real live volcano (eat there if you go independently - your food will be cooked by super-heated volcano air!), a strikingly different landscape although only a few km away, possibility of seeing flying fish during the crossing...

We don't do winter here (last year's night-time minimum was 12°C); just more unsettled spring/autumn weather. Expect mid 20s, some full sun but some cloud, maybe a rainy day. Cool in the evening after the heat of the day; be very careful of the sun as the ever-present breeze cools you while you burn. The sea will be at its warmest unless we've had an early autumn storm - about 26°C.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

Thanks Jez and Sheila.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 16:39
Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

MrMotwani. Hotel ok for children, there is a separate kiddies paddling area and outdoor heated swimming pool for children, along with a larger adult unheated pool. The main dining area is buffet style, with theme nights. More than enough choice for children. The other restaurants are more expensive and more adult oriented, but the Japanese restaurant would be fun for kids, as it has a Tapenyaki bar. There are good beaches a 10 min walk south of the hotel, also good for kids.

Sheila's comments about a building site should not put you off, this cannot be seen from the hotel, and the hotel is immaculate and finished to a high standard.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real, a few questions please

"Sheila's comments about a building site should not put you off, this cannot be seen from the hotel, and the hotel is immaculate and finished to a high standard." Yes, you're right, once you're in the hotel it won't bother you at all.

As a resident, it bothers me that it gives such a horrible welcome to newcomers: it really is the first thing you see of the town (together with a board advertising trips to Lanzarote!) after the fantastic dunes approach to the town. I'll be happy when (if?) it gets demolished. But don't let little things like that put you off the place. Corralejo is undoubtedly a little tatty in places, but it's got a great heart. :)

Get answers to your questions about Corralejo
Recent Conversations