We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charities

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Charities

We have never been to Fuerteventura so are looking forward to our visit in November.

We visited Tenerife the past few years and found out about the help the ex-pats are giving to local people who are finding it hard to manage during the recession.We donated clothes and food and left our toiletries. I'm just wondering if there is a similar scheme in Corralejo.

Mentioned in this post
Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands, Spain
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Corralejo
Corralejo
Fuerteventura, Spain
The Ugly Duckling
££ - £££, Scandinavian, Danish, International
Agua Tiki Bar
££ - £££, Bar, European
Domenoteca
££ - £££, Seafood, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charities

I haven't heard of a similar scheme here for collections from tourists, but it certainly sounds a great idea. The Cruz Roja (Red Cross) and another charity collect clothes and the airport donates lost property after a suitable length of time to the RC. That has included mink coats etc. that the RC wisely auction to raise cash rather than donating to the local needy. :)

I hope to learn more of that Tenerife initiative.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charities

Thanks for your reply, I will ask around when I am there, I like helping out wherever we holiday. My eyes were opened when we had a week in Dubai. We had to save pretty hard for that one and had a great time, but the staff at the hotel and everywhere we went were so grateful for tips because the pay wasn't that good and they had to work very long hours, for instance girls on breakfast duty were serving in one of the themed restaurants at 10 in the evening. A pregnant girl in the spa was lifting heavy silver basins for pedicures and couldn't rest her back and have any sort of breather...and when you think of the money circulating around that area.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charities

I agree it's a great idea. I have often thought you could bring children's clothes that were barely fitting and leave them after you. That'd work with a winter holiday as we always do because the clothes will be too small next summer. I don't know why someone brought a mink coat, though.

4. Re: Charities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Corralejo