We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is corralejo like

cheshire
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
what is corralejo like

have been to Fuerteventura once before we stayed in costa caleta.

would like to know what corralejo is like, is it a big place?

I believe their is a new and old part how far would it take to walk from one to the other?

what is a good area to stay for good restaurants and entertainment?

if we choose corralejo we would be visiting in jannuary and staying s/c

regards tracey

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is corralejo like

The old part is by the harbour, a mere 3 mins walk from the new part! Corralejo is much bigger than Caletta. However, the proper beaches are out of the town. The apartments spread a long way out of town, so make sure you don't end up a cars drive away from the main strip!

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,593 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is corralejo like

Hi, we stayed in Corralejo a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It's not a massive resort but big enough with plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from (we were there SC). Can't remember the name of our apartments now but we booked it through Thomsons and they were only a 5 minute walk away to the main area. The weather was pretty good for the January time too :)

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is corralejo like

Hi, we've been to Corralejo many times & feel it's a great place. Plenty of good bars/live music. Some lovely restaurants to suit all tastes/budgets. Never had poor accommodation but some can be a little far from 'the strip' but never bothers us at all. many s'markets & very cheap for alcohol/spirits etc-& long may that remain the case! All in all, it's a friendly resort & absolutely no hassle. Always look forward to going back! Hope this helps!

Doncaster
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is corralejo like

We are here at the moment. I hate it. Looks very run down. Can walk from one end to other in 30 minutes. We dont sunbathe/go in sea/sand or pool so we rely on good scenery, lots of walks and excursions. You walk to the end of the resort and that is it, nothing for miles. The old town is disappointing (not the quaint harbour i expected. Many of the cafes look run down with plastic chairs. There is a constant wind which makes it feel chilly even when the sun is out. If you are fetching kids then i cannot see what you would find to do with them. I hated Lanzarote, but this place is much worse.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is corralejo like

I just returned from Corralejo 3 days ago, it was our first visit. When we first arrived and took our transfer up the coast road there wasn't much to see. There were lots of unfinished buidings where I assume, money must've ran out on developments. Once in Corralejo itself we checked in and had a wander around so we could familiarise ourselves with the resort. The "strip" has some decent nightlife if you like live music and there's plenty bars and restaurants around to suit most tastes. Prices were not too bad for drinks and, although we went all-inclusive we did have a couple of evening meals out as well. Waikiki overlooking the beach (well..actually on it) is very good value for money. There are plenty others around and looking at what people had ordered, it looked like good value in most places.

The beach isn't great and it's very windy but there are bigger, better beaches outside the resort. ShielaW34 is a regular contributor on this forum and would likely be able to give you info on where the best beaches are, we were ok with the local beach but I'd imagine sunbeds would be taken very early in the height of summer, it's not particularly big, ok for a winter holiday though. We found the resort adequate for our needs and we've been to all the other main Canary islands as well. We really loved Lanzarote when we went but everyone is different. I'd say Tenerife was our favourite but we really like Gran Canaria also, choices, choices! I'm sure you'll enjoy the winter sun when you go, anywhere is better than the UK in winter!

Edited: 23 February 2014, 23:23
Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is corralejo like

Jambonian2's appraisal is pretty fair of Corralejo. We've been to all the Canary Islands & by far our favourite is Fuerte & Corralejo in particular. Hated Playa de las Americas in Tenerife. Not fussed on PDC in Lanza. Liked PDI in GC. It's horses for courses as they say & we'd have absolutely no probs in living in Corralejo & wish to do so & can do so-soon!!! There are many who like us return to Corralejo simply because we/they like it. Chacon a son gout!

London
Level Contributor
128 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is corralejo like

Hi there,

I went to costa caleta when I was a little younger and liked the place but by far Corralejo is such a beautiful place! So what if there's wind, Fuert is a windy island this cannot be helped! I went to Corralejo for the first time last year and me and my boyfriend are going back again this August we loved it. So many nice places to eat, yes of course some places look run down, but those places are probably some of the nice places to eat at, I would call them more "rustic". Nightlife is good, so many bars such a good selection. Flicks was our favorite and the people there are lovely. The sand dunes are beautiful and there are many things do to, it just depends whether it's your sort of thing. I agree with the person above, SheilaW is the best person to ask, answered most of my questions last year and always outlines the good points of the island and how beautiful it is xx

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what is corralejo like

I have been to Puerto Rico (gc) 3 times,,,costa teguise Lanza,,,2 times,,,,and corralejo 4 times....love p.r ,,it defo has the best weather...but corralejo is our favourite ,it's a little more spread out and has a lovely ,town ,type of feel to it.

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is corralejo like

Simontink, I am sorry that you are not enjoying your holiday but it is low season in Corralejo and a lot of the children's entertainment, bars and restaurants will be closed. The water park does not open till summer, and the restaurants get busier as it gets warmer. All Inclusive has damaged a lot of independent businesses, but Corralejo, with a high villa population, has a higher than normal number of restaurants and bars.

You are correct that at the edge of town everything stops. This is because the town adjuncts on to a Natural Park where development is banned. The beaches in the park (by the Riu hotels) are absolutely stunning, with "castlettes" to protect your from the wind, or you can walk westwards into the old volcanoes (calderas) for amazing scenery, peace and quiet and wildlife - watch out for the chipmunks, they will search your bag for food!).

further afield (30 mins drive) is El Cotilo with a lagoon beach, perfect for children with warmer water, or drive inland to authentic Fuerteventura, with views, museums and churches. Ask your reps or bar staff for recommendations. There are plenty of mountain bike hire places, and within 20 mins you will be in a world you have never seen before. Also, down the south of the island, filming has just been completed for the hollywood block buster Exodus by Ridley Scott. go and see the stunning beaches there, then impress your friends at the cinema!

Moffat, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is corralejo like

Hi,

Corralejo is our favourite place. We have been 5 times now and every time enjoy it even more. Our favourite restaurant is 5th Ave. not far off the main street heading towards the harbour. They serve the best steaks ever and the Scottish owners are so friendly.A good pub for a reasonably priced drink is Hello Beach Bar and if you like karaoke it's defi worth a visit. Mike the owner is very generous with the measures. We go as a couple or with friends so can't really say about kids entertainment but we really enjoy staying near the harbour and no further up the main street by Zara.

Get answers to your questions about Corralejo