We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change into euros at resort or UK ?

Which Corralejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Change into euros at resort or UK ?

Hi ,

Can anyone please tell me if it's better to change into euros in Corralejo ( in exchange kiosks ) or in the UK before I leave ? I've always previously taken euros with me rather than change sterling in the resort , just wondering if you get a better rate in Corralejo......

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
844 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change into euros at resort or UK ?

It is normally best to use a 'good' UK ATM card like Halifax Clarity or similar (see forums for the best card to use) rather than buying Euros before you go or in the resort. Banks, travel agents and exchanges in the UK can really rip you off with their large 'spread' between what they will buy at and sell at and then many of them have the cheek to charge a commission.

Many ATM charges can be higher than the best buys so shop around for the best card to use abroad.

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change into euros at resort or UK ?

Take Euros or use the cash machines. Most places also take UK cards (credit and debit) but of course there is the conversion fee.

Barnsley, United...
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change into euros at resort or UK ?

Generally found the Electrical store opposite La Tasca on the main strip do a better rate than back in the UK.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change into euros at resort or UK ?

This was on the TV this week about holiday money. Shop around in this country before you go and you can get a good deal. If you use a credit/debit card to pay for anything always pay in euros never in pounds as they will give you a terrible exchange rate compaired to the bad one you will get at home with your bank. I personaly usually exchange in the resort. it's just a case of making sure you keep your eye open when walking about. I always make sure I have 50 - 60 euros in my case from my last hols and then I know I don't have to change some the minute I arrive. Hope some of this helps

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change into euros at resort or UK ?

Thanks for all your replies- very helpful !!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change into euros at resort or UK ?

I always find the rate slightly better in fuerteventura but you still have to look around for the best rate, usually near the top of the strip. Probably the electrical store that was mentioned earlier will be best.

7. Re: Change into euros at resort or UK ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:16