We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North/south

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
North/south

Is it warmer in the south of fuerteventura compared to the north. Never been before thinking of going at Christmas. Been to tenerife and there is a vast difference in weather between north and south at that time of year.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North/south

Fuerteventura's weather can simply be summed up as sunny and windy.... The weather in Fuerteventura is not quite constant throughout the year. The weather in the summer is often sunny and dry with the northeastern parts also being windy. The winds can often be a blessing when it is hot and are a big hit with the watersports world of surfers, windsurfers and kite flyers.

As with the majority of the other Canary Islands, Fuerteventura has its own micro-climatic regions depending on your location on the island. Generally speaking the northern part of the island receives the windier weather while also receiving a good amount of sunshine while the central and southern parts of Fuerteventura will generally be sunny, warm and receive very pleasant weather most of the time. Hope this helps!

Edited: 11 May 2014, 18:02
P T
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North/south

Yes the south can be slightly warmer but the difference in temperature is not as extreme as Tenerife.

I read somewhere that because Lanzarote is so close to the top of Fuerteventura it almost acts as if it was attached and becomes the north.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North/south

P T Is quite right that the cloud and temperature difference between North and South in Fuerteventura is nowhere as pronounced as in Tenerife. The central inland part of the island can be cloudier.

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North/south

It's not really the temperature,which remains fairly constant, it's the wind that's the issue. If it's very windy, like last week, it's about finding sheltered beaches. Jandia Town beach is sheltered but it won't be for everyone. German naturists abound and if you've got a heart condition the Latin bombshells won't help!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North/south

I would have thought the difference between Corralejo and Jandia might play a more important part than the temp. Personally I prefer the south because of the lifestyle, others prefer the "action" of the north. hopefully SheilaW may be of some help to you.

uk
Level Contributor
410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North/south

We are going to try the South next time think we will prepher it too. Everything I read put us off the middle and south with talk of german based and nudists but so was the place we were at in Corralejo and we still enjoyed our holiday. Theres not that much in town anyway so think I would prepher a diffrent town with a day trip of the island or whatever to break it up

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North/south

Sheila will sing the praises of Corralejo, with it's busy bars and live music but people are very different and one man's meat is another man's poison. It depends what type of holiday you're looking for. If you want a few bars and prefer to have other Brits around you go to Corralejo. If you want to party go to another island. If you want a beach holiday, are discerning, and aren't scared stiff of Germans without swimsuits on go to Jandia. Avoid Caleta, it's a one horse town.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North/south

Nick-quite true. I went alone once to Caleta (late deal) & it was ok. Personally we prefer Corralejo but would never dismiss anywhere further south. Will try when we get a good price! That is more important to us than too many Germans/Brits etc.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North/south

Thanks for your replies most helpful. Corralejo is the place we were looking at I was just a bit concerned about it being in the north as we stayed in North tenerife one Christmas and the weather wasn't too good.

Bp Auckland
Level Contributor
217 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North/south

I'm open to being corrected but I wonder if your cooler weather in North Tenerife was caused by northerly winds coming straight in off the Atlantic cooled by the sea on its way down.

Whereas the northerlies coming to Fuerteventura have to cross over Lanzarote and therefore are warmed during their passage over land.

Get answers to your questions about Corralejo