We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving lesson in English

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
driving lesson in English

I am traveling to Corralejo in Sept. I wish to move there eventually. I want to hire a car while i'm over there, but I have never driven abroad & I am very nervous. I have tried looking on-line for English speaking driving lessons with no success. I just want one lesson just so as to feel more confident.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving lesson in English

If ever you want to start driving abroad then Fuerteventura is the place to learn. The roads are generally quiet and easy to navigate. I find it easier driving around Fuerteventura than here in the uk.

I am sure within 10 minutes of driving you will be confident

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving lesson in English

I couldn't agree more. Some places are a nightmare but not this one. If you'll have a passenger to help with road-signs, giving info on directions, speed limits, approaching junctions etc so you can concentrate on mirrors and controls, I really don't think you'll have a problem. The very best thing would be to hire from the airport, in daylight. We don't have a rush-hour here.

Leave the car park, and there's just one roundabout to leave the airport (it isn't like Heathrow :)) and then you immediately go down the slip-road onto the main north-south road to Corralejo. This is a dual carriageway so you can forget about oncoming traffic. Just past the Playa Blanca beach and before the built-up area you'll see a slip road onto the ring-road signposted Corralejo. Take it and then just carry straight on, including quite a few small roundabouts, until you reach the town. It takes about 45 minutes but it really is that simple, and by the time you get into town you'll be an old hand at it..

We're all used to timid drivers here; you don't have to overtake everything in sight; you've got all the time in the world. Anyway, the limit anywhere is 90kph (60mph) at most (less in town of course), apart from one short stretch of motorway in the south.

To be honest, I think that would be an easier option than starting outside a driving school, which will be in town. The one I know in Corralejo is in a very narrow street with parking both sides - it isn't the easiest place in the world if you're stressed.

If you've got transfers arranged etc then I'd advise you to get the bus into Puerto to see if there's a nicely positioned place to start. But you can't count on a high level of English from a driving school; hire car personnel is a different matter.

3. Re: driving lesson in English

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Corralejo