We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just back

Just back after 11 days and although on the whole we enjoyed our holiday i think we've come to the point in our lives where we want something a bit more than lounging by a pool all day followed by average food and fairly boring nights. The main drag we thought was pretty tacky and scruffy. We went to music square a few evenings which was ok for a few drinks but music not to our taste. Thank god for Rock Island bar with Dave and Gary, fantastic nights in there, with their excellent music and banter. Ventured up to Flicks bar area but was put off by the smell, even our teenage lads weren't impressed with it!

Weather for the main part was good but couldn't eat outside beyond 7 30 due to the cold wind and seating outside bars along the sea front were dirty and damp by 8.

We just seemed to be scratching around for something to do and even though we explored in our car and went to the dunes and El Cotillo there only seemed to be more beaches to go to whilst looking at the rubble on the journey.

Like I said in the whole we enjoyed our break but now we're mid 40's we need more than Corralejo/Fuerteventura had to offer.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back

Leigh-''chacun a son gout.'' Hope you find what you're looking for in the future. We've found what we like & I would move out to Corralejo tomorrow & Mrs S soon after.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back

"Rubble"??? That's no builders' rubble! That stuff was spewed out of the volcanoes two million years ago and very little of it has moved since! There hasn't been much erosion here as there are no frosts, and in the more recent past there's been very little rain so no river erosion either.

It SHOULD be warm enough to sit outside all evening but we're suffering from off-the-wall weather just as the rest of Europe is. It just won't seem to settle down this year. However, dampness on seats in the evening is a part of life here. Instead of rain we have really heavy dews that set in as soon as the sun goes down.

It's true that the whole place is a tad scruffy. But then the economic crisis hit the island very, very hard. Tourism really dwindled and then Spain started having real problems. Our local councils are now technically bankrupt but the worst seems over now and investment is starting up again.

For laid-back hippies (young and old), Rastas, musicians, artists... it's the atmosphere of the place that's so great; never mind the odd rust mark or paint flake. But I'm glad you enjoyed those evenings in Rock Island - it really is the best music venue here, and probably figures quite highly on the world scale when you consider entry is free and the music is great every night.

I hope you enjoy future holidays elsewhere and that you'll recommend Corralejo to those you think would like it.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back

Don't say that we're looking for something different than ibiza/majorca and the greek isles.we thought we'd just found the ticket and our decision only laid with which hotel?!

???

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back

I realise its volcanic rock but it's literally all you see, doesn't make for pretty sightseeing, if you can find somewhere to actually go!

Lurcherlover, it certainly wasn't our worst holiday - we just prefer to be out in the sun whilst doing something, I.e gorges, waterfalls, mud baths etc just something other than a beach or a pool!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back

We're the same so we thought we would body board or kayak something we've dabbled in but dont always have time.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back

Can recommend the diving shop next to Waikiki on the beach, our eldest spent three days diving with them and got himself another qualification.kayaks are available from this beach as well. Would also advise no one to give Waikiki a penny of their hard earnt money, service was also and the most surly waiters we have ever encountered (see latest reviews, we aren't just fussy!!)

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back

Never been into Waikiki for either food or drink-don't plan to either. Many times been asked to go there by chap on the main road at night but always declined as we don't want to go there & certainly not til silly o'clock. Looks ok from outside but we have our fav bars & places to go to at night so why risk it? Much the same as Gordon Ran(m)sey's for food which has suspect reviews too but drinks were fine there.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back

We just had lunch/drinks at Waikiki during the day as it seemed such a nice spot to watch the world go by, we actually saw people leave without paying as it took so long for the bill to come, unfortunately because if it's location they probably don't have to rely on repeat business. We even wondered if tge waiters were stoned, they were just in another planet!

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back

Sheila W, we love Corralejo, I'm not sure I would have even bothered to reply to the OP.

Everyone loves different things, I agree with Scarletrugby & hope they find somewhere they do like. Where does it say there are gorges, waterfalls & mud baths in Corralejo.....

Rustington, West...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back

It's always horses for courses,and the op has a right to their opinion.

I've been to all the Canary islands and most major holiday resorts in Spain and Fuerteventura is by far our favourite holiday destination.

Quiet and crowd free, well more or less.

Long may it continue not to be a favourite with the Brits ;)