We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying

Which Arguineguin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Conwy, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flying

I am flying to Gran Canaria soon and staying in Arguinegain.

I have done an on line check in with Ryanair and will be taking only carry on luggage.

Does that mean that when I get to the airport I don't have to go to the desk where everyone queues up but just wait for call to departure gate. Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying

Yep, that's exactly right. It is so easy! Just make certain you are within the weight/size restrictions etc or you WILL get stopped. Do this and it makes for an easy hassle-free trip.

Just a tip...when you board the plane, if you can, try to put your bag/case in one of the first few overhead lockers, rather than lug it in front of you, all the way down the aisle to where you will sit. If you have your money/glasses etc with you in pockets or handbag, then you don't need to get to your case again until you leave. It makes for a much easier disembarking and not holding everyone up.

England
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying

Canary.... good tip, but have you thought it thru?

If everyone puts their hand luggage in the first available locker, then the people who are sitting there will have to use the ones further back. Then on landing they will have to fight against the flow to retrieve their bag causing massive congestion, fights, law suits, divorces and general mayhem.

Happy days

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying

"Fights and law suits" LOL!!!

If everyone puts their luggage in the first overhead lockers, I suppose there is a danger that the plane will do a nose dive on trying to take off!

The first 3/6 rows are usually reserved and have tables down, so most people tend to by pass them by. Also, if they are reserved for people with mobility problems as is sometimes the way, they tend not to have hand luggage but hold luggage instead. It's just a thought Trickster. ;-)

Conwy, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying

Many thanks for that Canarytime.

Someone also told me that when returning and arriving at Liverpool airport I can use an automatic passport check at the border control instead of queing up to be checked by officer at a desk.

Do you know if this is correct?

Thanks

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying

Automated passport checking machines are becoming the norm in many airports but you must have a passport with an electronic chip in it !

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying

I have no personal experience of these automatic checking machines yet Trevor.

England
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying

Yep...... If you've got the chip you just place your passport face down. it's scaned then the first gate opens. you advance a few feet. a camera seeks your face and if your mush matches your photo you're in.

had em at burningham for a while

bournemouth
Level Contributor
187 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying

hey all

i always travel (even for a month / 6 weeks) with hand luggage on ryan air easyjet thomson etc

i dont care which overhead it goes in or how long it takes to get off the plane!!!!

the point is i'm in gran canaria

next flight is booked with norwegian!. first time . any thoughts anyone???!

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying

Re the automated passport machines. they can be very slow, and if you are anything over about 5' 7" you end up having to limbo to get your face in the "right" place for the machine to see you. My 6' 3 boyfriend doesn't get on well with them for obvious reasons (he never did like the thought of limbo dancing...)

At LGW I swear it was quicker to stand in the passport queue for a real "person"...

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying

Just arrived back at Edinburgh which has this equipment the automatic machine queue was taking twice as long to process as the human, there were more staff "helping" to process the chipped passport service than at the manned desks, looks like it needs more work

Get answers to your questions about Arguineguin