We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

We may drive from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Saturday the third week of May. How long will the drive probably take? If there is more than one route, which is the fastest? The most scenic?

Thanks for any info!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,654 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

Hi,

Its several years since I went and even then we combined it with the Dala Museum at Figueres, so I can't remember the exact route or how long it took but you might find this site useful. You can explore different types of route:

viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

Thanks! I also looked it up on Mapquest and it isn't really all that far. I was just wondering if there would be a lot of traffic, mostly.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

The tourist traffic is already starting to build up, especially along the coast. You can expect a fair amount of traffic. However, if you make most of the journey on the AP7 you should avoid the majority of traffic e.g. people driving to the beach.

Denise

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

Denise, thanks for the information.

We aren't absolutely sure which town we will stay in when are in N. Catalonia. It will be on a Sat. the 3rd wk. of May. I was told that the weather is still rather cool for hanging out on the beaches then. But I am concerned about waiting until that day or evening to find lodging. At this time I am guessing we will spend the night in the area of Cadaques, or nearby. There are not a whole lot of hotels or inns in that area. What is your opinion about our chances of getting something moderately priced at the last minute? Also, what other places would make for nice stayover towns that night?

I'd appreciate suggestions so that we'll have some options.

P.S. I know for sure we will visit Besalu as well, either earlier in the day on our way from BCN north, or on our way back.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

You should definitely stay in Besalu; I lived in the village for 2 years and it's delightful! I'd recommend El Curia Real Restaurante, in the Placa Major....great food, friendly staff and the best view of the Roman bridge! They close on Tuesdays.

Why not stop off on the coast? Begur is beautiful.... a Medieval town with winding streets, lovely restaurants and great boutiques for shopping. Nearby Pals and Peratallada are also well worth visiting.

Other delightful beach destinations are Tamariu, Llfranc and Calella de Palafrugell.

If yo want to do something cultural, you can't beat the Dali Museum in Figueres which would be a good place to break the journey up to Cadaques; allow a half day to see it.

I hope this helps.

Denise

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

PS

Sorry, didn't answer your questions!

The weather at the end of May is usually lovely and there are people on the beaches already!

As far as the accommodation is concerned, I think you should be OK getting late bookings this time of year, it's not like the middle of summer. Bookings are generally down this year so I'm guessing there will be more available.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

Denise, I have seen a few of the towns you mentioned on other posts. Especially Begur and Llfranc. Of the ones you mentioned, plus Besalu and Cadaques, which ones do you recommend the most? Isn't Cadaques where Dali once lived? We may only be able to barely drive through a few of them, but perhaps stop in others. Besalu sounds enchanting! Thanks so much for your help!

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

Hi,

Yes, Dali's house is in Port Lligat, about a kilometre from Cadaques.........worth a visit but in view of your time restrictions, perhaps not on this trip as you have to book to see it.

Well, I live in Begur and it's beautiful! Maybe I'm biased but it IS known as "The Jewel in the Crown" of the Costa Brava.

If you're planning on doing all of this in one day it's going to be hectic!

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Denise

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

Thank you, Denise! (I am going to send you a message.)

10. Re: Drive time from Barcelona to Cadaques on a Sat. in late May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Cadaques