We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

coming out on Wed 20th May with 2 kids (12 & 10)single dad (full time!)- got a good deal at the Callela palace- never been before, staying half board but the booking guy said i should upgrade to all inclusive-just me!- when we check in, as i could buy the kids ice creams, drinks etc- (im not a big drinker so would only have a couple of pints on an evening anyway), they said i would benefit from this- (ADVICE?)

Also- what is there to do- my son wants to visit the Nou Camp- are there local coach trips as well as Marine land(thats the daughter!)

also is there a water park near by? (both kids into this like!)

Many thanks for anyone who responds- its appreciated!

Cheers

ian

northumberland

ENGLAND

Paseo Maritimo Manuel Puigvert
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Guard Towers Las Torretas
Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites, Observation Decks & Towers, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

Marineland is a water park, but probably more focused on the dolphin/parrot shows etc... than on slides and that kind of thing. As for a more ride orientated water park, there's Water World fairly nearby in Lloret which has loads of cool slides and rubber boat type rides.

I wouldn't imagine there'll be a direct excursion to Camp Nou from Calella, but the train is easy enough to catch to get to Barcelona and from there you can do all sorts of stuff, Barcelona zoo is a good one to do for the day.

In Calella there is an office/booth in town where you can go and book excursions, though I'm sure the hotels will offer this service also (not sure, as we always stay at our own place there).

There's a place called Pequelandia, just by the main road, (on the side of your hotel and not the beach side) which has some fun games and bits and bobs for kids as well as an inflatable shark obstacle course, though at 10 and 12 they might be a bit old for that. Nearby is a mini golf and bowling place too for a bit of night time fun.

Calella palace is really near the beach - a 5-10 minute walk so perfect for day time stuff, then the shops for mooching about in are a short walk into the older part of town as most of the area surrounding your hotel is filled with more hotels and lots of english/tourist centric bars and restaurants.

No idea on advice for full board/half board etc... as, like i said, I stay at my own place and not in a hotel so no idea about that. What i can say is that there's loads of restaurants and bars all over the shop where you can pick up nice pizzas, rotisserie chickens and that sort of thing pretty cheaply. There's a few more authentic places dotted about but not loads, with Calella being a predominantly touristy town.

Norwich, UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

Hi

My wife and I have just come back from a week at another HTop hotel in Calella (the Amaika). We walked up to the Calella Palace for a drink and it looked pretty good - large swimming pool, nicely decorated etc. This hotel is geared up for people with children and there are some machines / pool tables for them to use.

I would go for the all inclusive upgrade if you can, then you can get drinks / ice cream / snacks anytime you like and will probably save some money. A couple of times we ordered packed lunches from our hotel. These are really good if you are going out for the day and come in a box with 2 rolls, butter, cheese, ham, fruit and a bottle of water.

I would have to disagree slightly with the previous poster and say that the Calella Palace is not 'really near' the beach! Yes, you can walk there in 10 minutes no problem but you wouldn't want to go backwards and forwards too often. And there is quite a busy road to cross.

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

Many thanks for your time in replying- its appreciated

wigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

hi ian,

there is an excursion to the football ground that runs but it is a bit on the expensive side. it is about £40-50 each. this consists of your coach fare and tour of the ground. you can catch the train in calella to barcelona and then you will probably need a bus as it is quite a good distance away. i am not sure how much it costs to go in but there are plenty leaflets for all the attractions inside the hotel near the rep corner. i would check these out first as some have discounts attatched to the leaflet.

the ground looks really good on the inside but is very bland and disappointing to look at from the outside. the bus tour in barcelona is very good value for money as it is the best way to see the city. i think we paid about 21 euros each in march.

they are hop on hop off open top buses and do stop at the ground. you get a map and a booklet with discounts for each paying person. if you go on this tour go as early in the morning as possible. we hardly got off the bus and did 2 included routes and was on for about five hours. it runs by the zoo as well. if your 2 are not into the city though you may be better with the normal buses.

as for the hotel the kids will enjoy themselves. its not to bad an hotel. the rooms are nice and spacious. the food is ok but they do have some weird things on sometimes but you will always find something you like.

as for the all inclusive option, i think you can only do this if you all upgrade. it has its pluses if you were to drink a lot which we dont so it was a bit wasted on us. the 3 meals a day without having other snacks filled us to bursting and after first couple of days it was too much. if you want to keep your costs down a bit and stick with your halfboard there is a spar like supermarket on the main road you cross as you go towards the beach which has multi pack cans of pop and stuff which is similar price to home. your bottled water from there is a lot cheaper than the other places as well.

i think i read another post from you regarding transfers, the company mentioned i think we had and it was fine. we did not see our rep but one of the others phoned the day before and confirmed for us our returned flights. there are phones in the lobby you can use as well. try and not to worry too much the transfer companies watch the flight information and if a flight is delayed they are pretty good at working around this. i thought we was in a taxi but it was a bus and they went and dropped off at all the h top hotels. hope you have a great time.

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

Thanx smithy- thats the sort of info i was after!

looking forward to it- will report back upon return!

wigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

hi ian, you do that if there is anything else you want to know send me a message but do it soon as i am off to cuba for 3 week on thursday.

newcastle england
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

Hi Ian,

We stayed at Htop Amieka a few months ago and I presume the All Inclusive works the same way in all their hotels.

As long as its not costing a lot more the A.I. is worth having. You get your photo taken on arrival and its transferred on to a plastic card like a credit card.

Only you can use it but you are allowed 2 drinks at a time(this is to stop you getting free drinks for others) but in theory you can use it as much as you want.

In our hotel you could take the drinks back to your room, also there was no kettle to make tea/coffee in rooms but there was a coffee machine in the bar for those on A.I.only.

You can also get a drink with your evening meal on A.I. wine or beer.

To sum up you might have to be a bit canny when using the A.I. for the kids .

Brian

Ps we got the packed lunches when we went out for the day and they were very good, you have to order them the day before.

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

Again, thanx guys much appreciated!

Resorthopper any good as we arrive after 9pm and have heard mixed reports- have booked with them now so hope all transfers go ok!

Just hope for the sun!

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

Hi Ian,

You can book a trip in Calella to Nou Camp in the morning for your son & then to Barcelona Zoo in the afternoon which will suit both. This is the easier option although a bit pricey but it is a full day out & worth it. The cheaper option is to go on the very convenient train which is so cheap and runs regularly but it is packed all the time & you will probably have to stand up all the way there!! Then you have to find the stadium. If you do go to Barcelona by train which we did on a seperate day to the excursion, we got an open top bus where you can hop on & off whenever you like & is the best way to see and not miss any of Barcelona but we stayed on till near the end when it pulled up beside the cruise ships and then walked up the Ramblas where the kids will be fascinated with the statue artists there. Its a good day out and a great city.

newcastle england
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Now im new to all of this! Callela palace

Ian,

We used Ressorthoppa a few months ago to get to Calella and they were very good.Our flight home to Newcastle left at 7 am so the pick up was 4.30 in the morning and the coach was right on time.

Regards

Brian

Get answers to your questions about Calella
Recent Conversations