We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where and when to go?

Which Calella hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where and when to go?

It is the same of year again when I can think about my holiday to Spain by coach, the problem is I cannot decide when to book or even what resort to go.

Originally I thought about Salou but it is quite a bit further by coach and I found last May it was a little bit quiet even compared to when I went to Calella in September.

I have narrowed down my choices to:-

Salou - found it a bit quiet (night life) and a bit family oriented but it was half term when I went.

Calella - really liked the town and was fairly busy when I went in the first week of September, but worried May or June might be too quiet.

Malgret - too quiet?

Lloret - I can't decide if I want the full Blackpool abroad thing but I have been to both Calella and Salou last year, so Lloret would make a nice change.

Lloret appeals to me because I won't get bored of the night life, but I am in my early 30's so maybe I am too old for it, I stayed in Lloret for a few nights when I was 20, and briefly visited for an hour last year. I just wonder if it would be too in your face? I like a good party but by 3:00am it is usually my bed time.

Salou appeals because the town itself is nice and the beach is wonderful to go on long walks to Cambrils etc, the problem is I found the night life to be extremely lacking in late May.

I really liked Calella when I went for four days last September, the night life seemed busy but too in my your face, however I did find it a bit small. The Ameika is one big draw to Calella though I am usually not fussed about hotel quality but £420 all inclusive does appeal inc the coach.

My next problem is when I go, all year I have set my heart on late May, the problem is that clashes with the half term, and I don't really want a load of kids on the coach. I went by train the same time last year but that was a special treat, I cannot afford to that again.

I am not free the very first weekend of May or the 16th which means May is likely to clash with half term. Weather wise is I waited till early June is the chance of a complete wash out much reduced? I had also thought about booking last minute so I can check the weather before I go, but is Calella likely to be dead early May?

I am thinking that if it was busy my first choice would be Calella, but Lloret is more likely to busy if I ended up going in early May. Sorry for a long post I am just confused on when to go.

southern england
Destination Expert
for Lloret de Mar, Calella
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where and when to go?

dont know salou as it has always struck me as family resort with not a great deal of late night entertainment for singles or those without families and going by coach means that you have an extra couple of hours travel each way.

i like malgrat and there are a choice of clubs, but the bars tend to close by 1am and are not really preparation for a night clubbing.

that leaves calella or lloret.

if you could get as good a hotel in lloret as the amaika i would plump for lloret but i think the fact that you can get the amaika for a price you are happy with is probably the thing that would swing me to calella. this is HTOPs best hotel and they do not usually fill that hotel with the youngsters.

in may/june there are thousands of european youngsters in both resorts ranging from 12-20 for football tournaments and other types of events and the supervision of them ranges from very controlled to no control. there are also plenty of youngsters celebrating the end of exams and who are there to party so both resorts can be very busy.

while being 30+ is fine in the bars in lloret you may feel old(ish) in some of the clubs. the good bit is that bars in lloret centre stay open till late, are usually filled up with those that dont want to pay for the clubs and are great for over 30s having, generally, a good party atmosphere.

in calella there is a reasonable range of clubs and some decent bars for a late night drink -the white horse used to be the place to be after midnight..

weather wise i think there is not much to choose between late may or early june, although june should be slightly warmer.

i have the same problem with half term and so have had to book for 16 may to try and miss most of the kids -also booked mid june and going good friday hoping to miss the kids again.

re booking late, i have tried this in the past and it can work in your favour sometimes but at this time of year the weather forecast can change from day to day and so you can put off booking thinking you will get rain then find it is a heatwave. i would be more concerned with ensuring i had a good hotel by booking early than having a lousy hotel by booking late. also, if booking with ferris for example, once they have filled the number of coaches they think they will need for that date they will just stop taking bookings so you are relying on a cancellation if your dates are fixed.

good luck in making your choice!

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where and when to go?

That sums up my problem. The bars in Lloret really do appeal but I wonder if there is more of a problem with crime and that it might be too full on at night. Ferris currently only seem to have two hotels on offer in Lloret, the Royal Beach and The Royal Star. I would want to be in easy walking distance to the main strip but also not right on top of it.

The problem with Calella is I might get bored over 7 nights. The other option would be to see if I could book a coach only seat then I could spend a few nights in Lloret/Calella and even a night in Barcelona.

Then my issue is when to go, it looks like it needs to be Monday the 5th of May, Monday the 19th or Monday the 9th of June. The 26th would be my ideal date but it clashes with half term so want to avoid that.

Friday the 16th would be ideal for me but promised a friend I will be in Manchester that day so it is looking like the 19th would by my best bet. So narrowed it down to the 19th of May (it was raining heavily that week last year I believe but it doesn't mean it will this year) but now if is the choice between Lloret and Calella. I am now thinking of booking with the Hotel Olympic as comes in it at around £300 and I could use the savings to towards perhaps going again in late August before I start a new college course.

The Bon Repos is the cheapest option but read a few reviews about the state of the kitchens and food poisoning which really put me off. The students shouldn't be an issue, I would rather the place was busy than quiet.

southern england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where and when to go?

the problem with booking your own accomodation is that it will probably work out a lot more expensive than booking a holiday through ferris and then you have the added costs of transferring between hotels.

have you priced up accomodation in lloret and going seat only. note that ferris will drop you/pick you up at the royal beach.

the olympic is ok, but the queueing for drinks as well as the number of students in may would put me off. been there- got the t-shirt.

one further option would be to book the olympic and then after 3 or 4 days if you are getting bored transfer to the RB. you will have to pay a supplement and your transfer costs but this may be a cheaper/easier option than booking your own accomodation.

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where and when to go?

I have priced up the in Lloret which is £180 for the 7 days which is not too bad but there is no food with that. The RB via Ferris works out at £50 more but is all inclusive. The other option is the Oasis in Calella which is £366 for the week all inclusive. I think I will forget the Olympic the reviews put me off! I also think I would get bored in Calella if I am there for an entire week where in Lloret I can imagine is big enough to go different places every night, alhough when I stayed we seemed to end up in this British bar opposite the beach every night for its 1.50 euro a pint buy one get one free offers (doubt they do that now!)

I know I keep coming back to this, but if I book it for the 19th of May what is the chance of having a complete wash out? I expect the the odd rainy day etc but I tend to travel to Barcelona etc so that is not a major problem but I also want some nice sunny days even if it is just early 20s.

19th of May is looking like my only option unless I go the Friday after the bank holiday weekend unless I wait till mid June which seems like a long time away. I am self employed so I only ever have real time off when I am away.

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where and when to go?

I meant the Hotel Acapulco in Lloret I had priced up. Seems to have very good reviews, but I at least would like half board even if I don't always use it.

southern england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where and when to go?

never used the acapulco so cant comment.

the oasis is a very good hotel,

the british bar, the robin hood has had a major refit and, in my opinion, has lost a lot of the atmosphere it had. all the 2 for 1 deals and happy hours should be a thing of the past as the local council banned them a couple of years ago to try and clean up the image of the town

re weather, how long is a piece of string?

myweather2.com/City-Town/…

gives some averages

i am generally in the area at all times of the year and cant recall ever having a complete wash out. a couple of nights of rain sometimes and the odd day in spring but i have normally been able to sit in the sun during april, may and june.

note -check ferris brochure for hotel offers as there are a few hotels where you only pay £1pn single supplement and that can drastically reduce the price you pay.

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where and when to go?

Yeah I noticed that, there seems to be one in Malgret with just £1 per night extra, checked online and it didn't seem that cheap but I think you have to ring to get that offer. I think I would find it too quite though.

I am not sure if I like the idea of cleaning up Lloret, to me it is in your face and like Blackpool with a nicer beach buut I don't see how they can turn into Torquay because there is so much competition with the other resorts on the Costa Brava.

You have put my mind at rest about the weather, I release it is May and a fairly wet time and am not expecting 7 days of hot sun but 7 nights of a wash out will spoil the holiday.

Do you know get sick of the coach going so often? Do you know if Ferris always stop at Lloret first? One thing that annoyed me last year is from the first drop off in Lloret to getting to my hotel in Callela it took over two hours. I wish I had just got off in Lloret and made my own way down.

southern england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where and when to go?

they have les palmeres in calella on the £1pn-4* hotel.

ferris seem to be a rule to themselves on the drop off/pick ups but by and large calella is always last as they use the square there to sort out the salou passengers and move people around the coaches.

lloret is usually the first drop off/last pick up but i have known them to pick up early in lloret then go to calella to play musical chairs and then drive past all the resorts again to come home.

once you learn to go with the flow and not get upset by the drivers apparent disregard for the clients -there is usually a plan behind all the manouvres, even if it is just to pick up Mr ferris's wine-it becomes easier to just let them get on with it.

i think with the coach travel trips 1-3 are ok as it is all a bit of a novelty; from 4-10 it becomes painful and you start to think about never doing this again; after about 10 trips you know how it works, when to sleep, when to eat and what to take with you to make it all easier and although i doubt it ever becomes a pleasure it does become much more endurable.

now if only ryanair or someone started flying from gatwick to gerona all would be well again

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where and when to go?

Could you not fly to Barcelona? Especially if it any of the resorts on the railway line would be a fairly easy journey. That said I looked at the flights from Manchester to Barcelona and cheapest I could was £200 when you consider luggage.

If I had a choice I would get the train but it is £200 return from Paris and unless you book far in advance it is expensive on the Eurostar too. I didn't feel safe on the night train because it at a lot of cities in France through the night and any stranger can come on and steal stuff. The TGV is very quick but the timings don't work out that well, I would either have to get a train at Paris at 7:40am which means staying in Paris for the night or get one around 2:00pm which gets to Barcelona at 8:40, the same problem is then I would need to spend a night in Barcelona which is cheaper than Paris but would feel like a waste of time.

My problem with coach all the way is the Manchester pickup via Ferris is 6:45am so it is a hell of a long journey if you don't get to the resort till 12:00 the next day. I have thought about staying the night in Dover but the hotels there are very expensive.

Just checked the Las Palmeres, the website is coming up at £432 half board but I assume if I phoned directly it would be just £306 for the week? If so that would swing it for Calella as is a good £100 cheaper.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 17:07
southern england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where and when to go?

i do fly to barcelona when i go on my own as i can either get the train or just stay the night in barcelona and go to lloret the next day. i would rather fly to gerona as i can get picked up from the airport

when i go to malgrat there are usually 2 or 3 of us and they prefer the coach, and it reduces my stress levels not having to look after them round the airport as they dont understand the way low cost airlines work with boarding etc -they still think that the plane wont go without them as they have booked!

have looked at the train a few times but can never seem to see a decent price and the hassle of all the changes puts me off anyway, especially when going with my friends.

normally ferris start dropping people off in resorts around 9am

the Les Palmeres would work out at 299(HB) +7 single supp +15 for platinum =321 on 19th may but you have to phone to book.

Get answers to your questions about Calella
Recent Conversations