We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Holiday

Which Calella hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Family Holiday

Hi,

Booked up a last minute trip to Calella with the family, going on Saturday, myself and my wife and our 11 month old son. Hoping for a nice relaxing week, the weather looks a bit hit and miss but other than that I have no idea what to expect from Calella as I'd never even heard of it until we were looking at what deals were available. We're staying in one of HTOP 4* places, again don't know which or what to expect, real journey into the unknown for me this week.

What is there to do around this area? Is it easy enough to make our way to Barcelona on public transport?

Any bits of advice/info would be great.

Thanks

Mark

fort william...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Holiday

hi,youll probably be staying at the palace,its only a 10 minute walk straight down to the main shopping area and the beach,the shopping area is mostly pedestrianised,though you have to cross a busy main road to get there,use the pedestrian crossings at all times. i love calella,,its not a tourist resort,its a town with a few hotels added on,so it has a more spanish feel to it,but because of the number of tourists,it also caters for them-the best of both worlds,theres a regular train service to barcelona,journeys about an hour+costs about 9 euros return-well worth it,,if you get off at the placa catalunya,there are bus tours leaving all the time from there,thyre good for a bit of sightseeing,,although the bairn might enjoy the zoo more! a cautionary note though is to be very aware of pickpockets,theyre absolutely rife,especially on+near trains,,they targets tourists likely to be distracted easily by children ,looking for directions etc. apart from that,im sure youll have a brilliant time

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Holiday

I went to Calela last May - took my 15 yo son for a short break.

The weather was a bit iffy for us then unfortunately, but fingers crossed for an improvement. There is plenty to do - a lot of shops, more than you would think. There are a variety of restaurants. Not all 'English' type bars. We stayed in a different hotel to you- but we did eat out a few times. We had some nice meals.

We flew in to Barcelona El Prat -and took the train up to resort. It was very easy (I do pre-plan things precisely though!). The station is central - trains are quite frequent - I can't quite remember now but you can check out the times on here …gencat.cat/portal/…

We went into Barcelona twice to have a look around and get tapas lunch etc. It takes about an hour - and is about 4 or 5 Euros each way. It was a year ago, so I am a bit rusty.

The beach is nice- we didn't really get to appreciate it, due to the weather not being as it should have been -but it is wide and sandy. Looked good.

If you are feeling like venturing further afield you can go north and visit Girona. It's not as straighforward as going into Barcelona - but certainly very interesting.

There is a large streetmarket - i can't remember which day that is on.

I think you will like Calella - it's quite relaxed. I would certainly visit again. Have fun.

Southampton
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Holiday

We've just come back from 10 days in Pineda, the neighbouring resort. Calella seemed nice enough. Getting to Barcelona is dead easy and cheap on the train. They go roughly every half an hour (except for a couple of times during the day when its every hour) and stop at 4 different stations in Barcelona. (El Clot Arago, Arc de Triomf, Placa de Catalunya and Sants) For me and my wife it was about 20 Euros for 2 return tickets. You would need to get the Rodalies train that eventually stops at l'Hospitalet de Llobregat (a town on the other side of Barcelona) and it takes about an hour. For much of the journey the rail line runs along the seafront so there are nice views.

4. Re: Family Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:16