We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recomendation for L'Escala

manchester
Level Contributor
121 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
recomendation for L'Escala

Not so much a question more a recomendation for L'Escala. I have just spent a week there with my 16 year old son and wife. I was really impressed by the beaches, restaurants, bars and general friendliness of everywhere we went.

St Marti is within walking distance which must have some of the most unspoilt beaches of real quality along the costa brava because of the restrictions that the Roman Ruins place on the environment.

For a hotel I would recommend for a budget option, the Hotel Bonaire, it's run by two absolutely charming people (with fantastic English). The rooms are spotless, the food in the bar is excellent, everything served with a smile and they are happy to offer suggestions for other places to eat or drink. If like me you need the additional room for a teenager the hotel offers great value for money whilst being only a stone's throw from the beach.

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

We are also just back from L'Escala and like it very much. We like the fact that it is qute flat so walking is easy, but it has lovely views across the bay to Roses, especially at sunset. I suggest to any one to walk round to the Marina and have a drink at the Club Nautique at sunset, spectacular!

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

Just spent a week in L'Escala and echo the view on St Marti beaches.

We stayed at a villa rental, Villa Escondrijo at Cala Montgo and wouldn't recommend it. Owners just taking the money without investing in the villa and it shows; very tired. Cala Montgo itself is a holiday village with a huge campsite and overbuilt with villas so probably best to avoid altogether unless that's your thing.

cork ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

Hi

Has anyone any ideas on how we could get to L'Escala from Tossa De Mar we will not have a car so it needs to be the local bus or a taxi if this option will not be too expensive

thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

Hi

There is a bus company which covers the area but it does not connect tossa with l'escala directly. My recommendation is to take a bus with this company (Sarfa, www.sarfa.com) to Girona and then change at Girona main station for a bus to L'Escala. The only thing about this is that it takes quite a long time as the bus stops in many villages on the way, but it is the cheapest option. Taxi will cost you much more since it is quite far away. Renting a car is another option.

cork ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

Hi

Thank you I looked into the bus from Girona and you are right it will take a long time and also the busses are few and far between i will have to get the courage up to drive on the "wrong" side of the road!!!!

moraira
Level Contributor
6 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

Looking at long term rental for single person in L'Escala.

Anyone any experience?

Espoo
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

We recently rented a private house through a site called lasvillasdelmar.es and I can only say, after having struggled for 2,5months with this agency over various things, involving spanish police etc that I would recommend steering well clear of this rental agent. They also seem to advertise on Owners Direct pages.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

But yet you are asking for information if anyone else has heard of them as if you haven't ever had dealings with them on another thread. Curious.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

This makes no sense. In another thread you started (dated same day as this post) you ask for info on this company as if you hadn't had dealings with them. TripTrapTripTrap

Espoo
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: recomendation for L'Escala

we yeah, I admit I should have formulated myself better. Just wanted to know in a separate thread if anyone has had similar problems with this company.

the story is interesting indeed and i can give a breif recap here.

So after 2,5-3 months of trying to contact the renter we decided to lay it off as it clearly would not lead to anything but lost sleep.... The Spanish police was, however, very helpful in this case and i give them thanks for that.

BTW, I submitted a review also to Owners Direct, entirely within their review guidelines, but apparently, as the review was not all positive they have not posted it on their site and have not even given us any explanastion why they choose not to publish it.

I read on the net that also other owners rental sites, belonging to same Home Away alliance of companies have same kind of policy, ie not publish any other feedback than positive.

Next time we will make sure we rent with some respectable and more thrustworthy company. LEsacala is very nice, though and we may return there next year.

Get answers to your questions about L'Escala