We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

Which L'Escala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

Does anyone know if Jo Jo's Bar still exists in the old town area of L'Escala? We had many happy holidays in the town and and have great memories of Jo and her bar. We are wondering whether to return next year.

16 replies to this topic
Leicester U.K.
Level Contributor
1 post
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

Jo Jo's bar is still going strong and Joanne still goes in every evening, even though she is now 86.

It still has a strong ex pat customer base especially on Wednesdays when quiz night is usually packed.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

Thank you very much for your reply, I'm so glad Joanne is well and still keeping the bar going. We first went to L'Escala about 25 years ago and re-visited many times but have not been for about six years. I think another holiday may well be in order!! Thanks again.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

This is my auntie s bar and think it is great that people know it and like it so much - I remember going to l'escala for the first time when I was seventeen and loving it so much ,and everybody I know who has visited says the same -Spain's answer to st Ives in Cornwall !

Can't wait to go back soon .

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

This is my auntie s bar and think it is great that people know it and like it so much - I remember going to l'escala for the first time when I was seventeen and loving it so much ,and everybody I know who has visited says the same -Spain's answer to st Ives in Cornwall !

Can't wait to go back soon .

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

Hi, I was wondering which street the bar is on as we're going to l'escala in a week. I guess it's in the old town.

Thanks

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

Don't worry I found it! just got back! It's open a few days a week, off the top of my head it's wed/fri/sat. It's also up for sale!! so may not be there much longer.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

Is Joanne still there? I use to have many summer holidays all spent in L'Escala as my Dad had a place there. Use to go there on my own after a while and many a night would sit at the bar talking with Jo.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

in year 1983or84 i used 2 work 4 jeff And gimmet who had a restuarant (hachetas) not far from jojo's, being english there was a few of us who worked in l'escala. i remember 1 good mate of mine called moff, we went in jojo's everynite. jo used 2 have chickens going round on a spit outside on the wall, and she done a juicy hamburger 2. i remember jo as a lady with a big heart and a personality 2go with it, she was great fun, its good 2here she's still going strong. I recommend a night or 2 in jo's, if u do i assure you u will have a great time. Andy.(chef). North london.

Hawkinge Kent
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

Hi to all that know Jo Jo. She retired last October with a send off party in the bar, attended by a large crowd of people that have known her over the years. She is still in fine fettle and will be 90 on September 4th. this year. It would be great if all those of you that have crossed her path sent her a card. Her address is: Joanne Richie-Giles, c/Pireneu 38, 17130 L'Escala, Prov Girona, Catalunya, Spain EU. It would be so nice for her to receive at least 90 cards!

We first met her in 1980 and have met at least 70% of the people we know in Spain through meeting Jo Jo. She was so hospitable on our first one weeks break in August 1980 without the children that we were enticed back time and time again. Together with Lionel the artist they made the perfect eccentric couple and introduced us to many fine restaurants out in the sticks as well as one or two suspect ones. We have many happy memories as many of you may have.

Penny & Mo Godfrey.

East Sussex
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala

I went to L'Escala for many years and went in Jo Jo's bar. Will definitely send her a card.

Julie Merrett

Reply to: Jo Jo's Bar, L'Escala
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about L'Escala
Recent Conversations