We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking our Jack Russell on the via Frangicena

Which Martigny hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Taking our Jack Russell on the via Frangicena

Hambagahle,

We know you are a dog lover. Starting our trek from Lausanne and over the St Bernard pass into Italy. Any advice for our time in your country as far as the accomodations, route, etc. ?

Thanks!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,710 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking our Jack Russell on the via Frangicena

Do you mean "trek" really - on foot?? Or by car??

There isn't really much choice of route if you mean the Francigena -

Lausanne/Vevey/Montreux/Chillon (used to be a "toll station" on this road!) /Roche/St Maurice/Martigny/Sembrancher/Bourg St Pierre/Col du St Bernard/Etroubles/Aosta...

Accomodations - since I have no idea what sort you might be looking for my advice is to use the local tourist offices sites to search. Normally you can filter results by date and price...

Things not to miss:

Lavaux vineyards

Chillon

Organ museum at Roche (is housed in a splendid 12th century barn that was used to stable pilgrims' horses when on the Francigena route)

Abbey at St Maurice

Martigny - see this - tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g580371-s4/Martigny…

Col - Hospice, treasure of the hospice and small museum across the street

Your Jack Russell will be welcome just about everywhere except in the various museums... You need to tell hotels you will have a dog. Almost all restaurants welcome them and will bring a dish of water.

But it would be helpful to know if you plan to drive or walk or cycle... though I suppose with the JR you will be driving (short legs?!!)

If you need more info either post or PM me...

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking our Jack Russell on the via Frangicena

Hi Hambagahle,

We will be trekking starting from Sainte Croix all the way to Aosta or further. Thor is a mighty hiker and can easily do 17-27 km a day (we will have to see how the humans do). Thinking of doing this starting in mid June 2014. The Swiss site breaks the trek into stages starting in Sainte Croix and ending at the St Bernard Pass. We will pass through your town so look for Thor! Thanks for the tips!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,710 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking our Jack Russell on the via Frangicena

I assume you mean Ste Croix les Rasses? From there to the St Bernard is a long walk!! And I am sure there is no problem with Thor since he lives in Colorado and must be used to altitude, which of course you will encounter on the last bit of the walk.

Your route most likely takes you via Yverdon (thermal baths there) and across the Gros de Vaud in the direction of Romont or Moudon. In Romont there is a centre for making stained glass with an excellent museum. You will also be near Lucens and Avenches. Lucens has a magnificent château with connections to Conan Doyle. Avenches is a Roman town with a large amphitheatre which is used in summer for opera etc.

Will you then walk via the Pre-Alpes and the Pays d'En Haut (Bulle, Gruyères, Rossinière, Château d'Oex) and over the Mosses to Aigle or will you come down to the lake (Léman) near Vevey?? If the former then you should stop in Rossinière and visit "le grand chalet" which belongs to the Balthus Fondation and is quite a splendid building. The Col des Mosses is just beautiful. River, pine forests etc. But at the summit it is really ugly - but then you do not have to stay there long. The château at Aigle has an interesting wine museum and is on your way down to the plain of the Rhône.

This route will not take you past the old barn (Musée de l'Orge) at Roche. For that you can either backtrack via Yvorne (lovely vineyard village) or come down from the plateau to Vevey instead of going via the Pays d'Enhaut.

Martigny - the Dog museum won't let Thor in (too bad!) and neither will the Gianadda... but both are worth a visit. From here on up the route is pretty simple but there is one choice. You can follow the old route, straight to the pass OR deviate via the Val Ferret, which is really beautiful and then go up the Col de la Fenêtre from la Fouly which will take you up to the pass... this latter is really a high mountain itinerary.

Hostels - see www.youthhostels.ch for a listing of all of them. Many are excellent. Otherwise see the local tourist office sites for BnBs or this one www.bnb.ch

Finally if this is to happen in early June it is worth checking the opening date of the St Bernard pass carefully. Opening of this pass has nothing to do (normally!) with snow clearance but rather with the agreement with the Italian Dogana to send officers up there to check travellers since it is the border between CH and I.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking our Jack Russell on the via Frangicena

Thanks again for the information. Here is the Swiss site that has the stages and route:

www.wanderland.ch/en/routes/route-070.html

They say about 215 km total, not bad. We will stay in either B&B's or small hotels (we need comfort at the end of the day!) so I will investigate the possibilities in the towns along the way. Do you think it will be wise to reserve in advance in June or just arrive at the places I have researched and see if they have rooms?

We did a bike trip down the Danube in May a number of years ago and did not have a problem getting rooms in whatever town/village we landed in without reserving.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,710 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking our Jack Russell on the via Frangicena

Depends if you are going to stop in reasonably good sized towns or little villages where there might be only one place! Normally the big tourist rush has not happened in June and you should be OK just going from place to place with no reservations BUT if there is only one option... I personally would prefer to book it!!

Around Lausanne you might look at Epalinges, which is pretty and not in the busy centre of town... And if you want a really great meal en route, then the Restaurant des Alpes in Orsières is the place to go. And you will find a "kindred soul" in the Maître d'Hôtel, Fabien - he just returned from a 4 month trek from Slovenia to Monaco!!

I would pre-book BnBs and then take my luck with hotels...

6. Re: Taking our Jack Russell on the via Frangicena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:15