We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

Which Martigny hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Laramie, Wyoming
7 posts
Save Topic
May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

www.leshouches.com/pdf/sncf-mai-2014.pdf from chamonix.com/…en.html has the schedule for May of 2014 (only available in french). We are trying to get from Chamonix to Martigny that morning. We will be starting to use our swiss pass that day.

My questions:

I'm having trouble deciphering this schedule. I know there is construction occurring somewhere on this journey, however I'm not sure why they released a special May version of the schedule. What is changing?

Our plan is to leave Chamonix on the 30th of May and get to Martigny as easily as possible. Do these trains leave from the main train station in Chamonix? Can I use my swiss pass starting in France (I've read you can, but I'm not sure how to do that?).

How intuitive is the change from the train --> bus --> train? Is there a chance of boarding the wrong transport? How much longer does this delay extend the trip?

I apologize for all the questions. I truly tried to do my research on this one but some of the answers online leave me more flabbergasted. Thank you!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

Hi, the station you want is called Chamonix Mont Blanc. I would advise using the Swiss Rail website in English

www.sbb.ch/en

Here is a page from the Chamoix website that has information on trains to Martigny as well.

chamonix.net/english/…train-martigny

Hope this helps.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

The trains from St Gervais to Argentier where you have to transfer to a bus stop at Chamonix Mont Blanc, The Swiss pass is valid from Chamonix if it is already validated you just show it to the ticket inspector on board the train, if unvalidated you can get it stamped at the railway station ticket office.

The train to bus and back to train again is quite a smooth transfer.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 21:43
Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

I had similar questions, but in order not to hijack this thread, I've started a new one.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,104 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

Which I answered - but again for the OP on this thread:

Renovation work in the tunnel des Montets has been going on now for two years. It was supposed to end in December. And then in March. And now sometime (!) in June. The Montets is in France and we Swiss cannot be responsible for the work.

Currently you take the train to Argentière (if you have to change trains in Chamonix it is a non-event as the station is very small). A waiting bus will take you to le Châtelard where you board a train for Martigny. The schedule is on the TMRSA site and not on the SBB site. (In fact the SBB either ignores this connection or gets it wrong...)

www.tmrsa.ch

For pat767 I spoke to Octodure Voyages in Martigny today. They are the "handling agents" for TMRSA and deal with tickets, customer inquiries etc. They have confirmed a train time for pat767. And I would trust their site. AS MBT says, train to bus to train transfer is easy. Bus awaits the train, takes passengers and luggage (they are 50 passenger buses with luggage holds) and then drops the pax at Châtelard. Where the train to Martigny is waiting. It is a nuisance. But at least you get better views from the bus than from the tunnel.

Octodure Voyages hopes that normal - ie through - service will happen sometime in June. If you want to ring them directly their number is +41 (0)27 33 30. If you can't speak French then send me a PM with your request and I will call them.

5. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 15:28
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,104 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

Since more than half of this route is run by TMRSA here in Martigny, and their operating people are Octodure Voyages I rather think I got the information from the horse's mouth as it were. No need for any other timetable. It is what it is (or rather it is what Octodure Voyages says it is!!)

7. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

8. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

9. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,104 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May 2014 Train confusion Chamonix --> Martigny

You might be interested to know, marsh m that the construction work in the tunnel does not delay the arrival of the train in Martigny and the timetable is adhered to. Therefore reference to the works is not necessary.

And furthermore the tunnel work should be over by June. Or at least we all hope.

Perhaps you can now turn your valuable attention to something else.