We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch on Tiree

antrim
Level Contributor
104 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch on Tiree

Anyone know where we could land a helicopter,get a light lunch and go for a good walk,we're keen to see the great beaches there.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,900 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch on Tiree

Tiree is so flat, with unfenced grassy machair everywhere, that finding somewhere to land will be no problem - you'll be spoilt for choice. If you want lunch you could either land at Scarinish, where the ferry pier is, and eat at the Scarinish Hotel, or maybe at Sandaig, on the west coast, where there's a place called the Glasasry which I haven't tried yet, but I'm told is OK.

Tiree
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch on Tiree

Hi,

I live on Tiree. not sure about landing a helicopter anywhere but the Airport? The crofting community may not be very impressed with someone landing on their land when stock are grazing.

Use the Airport, walk to the beaches, get transport to the Restaurants or cycle.

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,900 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch on Tiree

People fly in by helicopter, landing outside pubs and hotels all over the Hebrides. Obviously you keep well away from livestock, as dunchad says.

For obvious reasons, the owners of the premises tend to encourage it (people in helicopers tend to have a few quid to spend!). I remember sitting outside the Colonsay Hotel one sunny day when a whole heli-load of Canadian McPhees clattered down out of the sky for a clan reunion!

This place on Tiree will welcome you: tireelodgehotel.com/romance-and-weddings/wed…

Tiree
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch on Tiree

Sorry, I value Tiree as it is, a bit wild and Inaccessible, as that's the charm to most visitors. The journey adds value to the destination. Use the ferry ;oP What you described is a sad vision of future.

Try this re the Lodge?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g580436-d148992…

This is next door and just see what the visitors say??

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g580436-d1…

See you on the beach,,

Dunchad

scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch on Tiree

I have spent many holidays on Tiree i have never known Helicopters to land anywhere apart from the Airport. The Glassary has great food as does the Scarnish. You will have a great time it is a very peacful island if you have not already gone enjoy (i amsure you will)

6. Re: Lunch on Tiree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Tiree
Recent Conversations