We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

WOODBRIDGE
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

We are at the final stage of our trip planning and would appreciate any input

Day 1 Arrive St.John's airport 11 am pick up ( already arranged for) a rental car and drive all day to Deer Lake for a night rest. (Any suggestions about this long drive...places to stop for a typical NF food...how about the gas stations are they readily available?)

Day 2 Early wake up and to Gros Morne ,Rocky Harbor B&B start exploring GM before noon

Day 3 GM

Day 4 GM

Day 5 Early get up and driving slowly towards L'Anse making stops to enjoy coastal villages.Staying at Cape Onion Tickle Inn.for 3 nights

Day 6,7...exploring L'Anse.,ST.Anthony...hoping to see icebergs and marine life.

Day 8...long drive to Bonavista....all day

Day 9 Bonavista,Trinity Sherwink Trail....late night arrival in Placentia

Day 10 Cape St.Mary's, St.Shotts ..to Witless Bay

Day 11 Witless Bay late evening St.John's

day 12 St.John's and vicinity...evening flight back home.

We would greatly appreciate any practical advice and tips.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

Your Day 8 drive really should be rethought. We came back from St. Anthony and stopped at Gros Morne again. We had time to do some exploring at the park again. Day 9 seems ambitious also, especially if you do that drive the day before. My own preference, but I would give myself another day around Trinity or St. John's and sacrifice one of the days up at St. Anthony. (We had no problems with gas although you obviously shouldn't let it get close to empty between Deer Lake and Grand Falls.)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

In St Anthony we used Northland Discovery Tours for whale watching and icebergs, a good tour. In early July whales and bergs.

If you are upto it, do some hikes in GMorne (A previous post in TA Gros Morne I listed the tours I liked), and check out Western Brook Tour.

LOts of miles, if you are renting a car beware of mileage fees which seemed common in NL when I was there. Look out for the moose on the road.

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

I am having a slight issue with your Day 1 plans. You want to drive 644km from St. John's to Deer Lake, about a 7 hour drive. Then on Day 2 you want to drive the 70 kms from Deer Lake to Rocky Harbour, about 50 minutes.

This is going to waste a lot of your vacation time budget. Deer Lake isn't a town with appeal. If you want to do it in two legs, pick a town in the middle to give you a slow pace across the island and have a chance to do some stopping along the way.

If you are going to do it in one leg then do it straight from St. John's to Rocky Harbour, its only eight hours and you only waste one day in travel time. You pick up you car at 11am then get in Rocky Harbour at about 8pm, eat, sleep then wake up on Day 2 with a full day in GM.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

Day 8 is a killer. It is about 950km and will take 11-12 hours driving without stops. Add in stops and that is going to be a very long hard day. Rather than trying to reach Bonavista that night would it make sense to try and make your overnight around Grand Falls Windsor to Gander? This would cut down the drive. OK it's not the place to stay from choice. Then drive to Bonavista to pick up on Day 8.

Have you come across the Newfoundland Roads web site which gives details and estimates for driving times?

…gov.nl.ca/DataTools/…Default.aspx

WOODBRIDGE
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

Everyone who replied to my question is truly appreciated for taking time out to respond. I am currently evaluating all the excellent suggestions that you made. Thank you very much.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

I've been thinking about your itinerary and wondering if it would work better if done the other way round - or have you already booked accommodation?

Day 1

Arrive St.John's airport 11 am pick up ( already arranged for). Spend rest of day St.John's and vicinity.

DAY 2

Witless Bay

DAY 3

Witless Bay, St.Shotts Cape St.Mary's, Placenta

DAY 4

To Bonavista viaTrinity Sherwink Trail

DAY 5

Drive to Rocky Harbour B&B start exploring GM

DAY 6&7

GM

DAY8

Early get up and driving slowly towards L'Anse making stops to enjoy coastal villages.Staying at Cape Onion Tickle Inn.for 3 nights

DAY 9&10

exploring L'Anse.,ST.Anthony...hoping to see icebergs and marine life.

DAY 11

Drive back to St Johns with stop on way... Choice is up to you depending on how long you want to drive....

DAY 12

Head for St.John's and vicinity...evening flight back home.

Eleanor

WOODBRIDGE
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

Thanks Eleonor.

For me the most important is to see Gros Morne and St.Anthony's area,hence this itenerary.There is a bit of flexibility but not too much.....I am so crazy hang up on the icebergs...I MUST see them,hopefully at the begining of my trip.

Gosia

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

When is your trip?

Have you already bboked f;ights?

WOODBRIDGE
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

HI Ontario Canuck

We arriving in St.John's June 17, leaving June 28. Lots of km to drive (got rental car with unlimitted km !)Dates are firm and flights booked

This is my 3th attempt in 25 years to visit NF...this time it has to work out.

Sorry for a late reply...was working all weekend

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 Days in Newfoundland...need advice

Should be good for some wildflowers on the trails, and icebergs in the ocean.

Get answers to your questions about Gros Morne National...