We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gros Morne Mountain Trail in May

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Gros Morne Mountain Trail in May

As I know, this trail will be open until July. But if I visit Gros Morne in May, so I can't hike for this trail? or I can do it, just without permit.

Because there are too many visitors in July, everything are rised up as airline, renting car, motel~ so I am think about avoid this peak time, and visitor Gros Morne in May, but I don't want to miss this trail, it's one of the most attractive trail for me to there,

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gros Morne Mountain Trail in May

According to the PArks Canada website:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…mgm-gmm.aspx

"Climbing Gros Morne Mountain is not permitted until the beginning of July in order to protect wildlife during critical weeks of growth and reproduction. You may still hike the 4km to the base of the mountain. However we ask you to appreciate the sensitive nature of this environment and not climb to the top before the month of July."

We found a similar situation in the Rockies were trails were not opened until July. The actual date depended on the condition of the trail and could vary from year to year. This gives snow time to melt and the ground time to dry out. Damp soil is easily damaged and it can take years for the vegetation to recover. Please respect this.

If there is still ice and snow around Gros Morne Mountain trail would be dangerous to walk - another good reason for the closure.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a permit. You need a permit to use any of the facilities in the park. This includes car parks, trails etc.

So if you want to Climb Gros Morne you will have to delay your trip until July-September. September may be cheaper than July.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gros Morne Mountain Trail in May

"As I know, this trail will be open until July. But if I visit Gros Morne in May, so I can't hike for this trail? or I can do it, just without permit."

Don't let EESW's post lead you to believe that they are "asking" you to respect the breeding wildlife. The seasonal use of different areas of the park during the breeding season is strictly enforced.

Many people are prosecuted under the "Canada National Parks Act", penalties included being banned from National parks across Canada.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gros Morne Mountain Trail in May

Thank you Doggles. I hesitated to be too dogmatic in my post.

It is so refreshing to see somewhere taking damage to the environment seriously.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gros Morne Mountain Trail in May

You could end up in Her Majesty's Penitentiary if you are unlucky, LOL! I'd stay off closed trails in National Parks if I were you.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gros Morne Mountain Trail in May

Josh, today - May 14, we are receiving 3-4 cms. of snow. Gros Morne may even get more but I'm not certain of this. It is possible the precipitation there is rain rather than snow but regardless, the temperature is close to freezing. If the trails were open they would be dangerously slippery particularly the rocky parts with the snow or rain freezing into ice.

6. Re: Gros Morne Mountain Trail in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 05:15