We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus schedules and rate between Rocky Harbour & Deer Lake

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
bus schedules and rate between Rocky Harbour & Deer Lake

Does any one know up-to-date shuttle bus schedules and rate between Rocky Harbour and Deer Lake?

I fond out Viking Express is out of business and no bus goes to St. Anthony area. Taxi service from Rocky Harbour to L'anse aux Meadows costs $360 (Pittman's Taxi ,709-458-2486).

So I decided to rent a car at the airport for three days to visit L'anse aux Meadows and then suvive in Gros Morne National Park using local taxi and shuttle bus services.

My problem is after returning a rent car at Deer Lake, I need to go back to Rocky Harbour. Taxi service fee is $154 (Star taxi , 709-634- 4343 )

I got 2007 info.

Martin's shuttle departs for Rocky Harbour ($18, 1½ hours) at 4:30pm weekdays. Returns depart Rocky Harbour at 9am.

I tried to reach Martin's shuttle bus (709-458-8201) but, I couldn't.

Does any one know up-to-date bus schedule?

Edited: 18 June 2011, 01:46
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus schedules and rate between Rocky Harbour & Deer Lake

Bus service? You're kidding, right?

Here is a link to up-to-date local transportation options in NL from the government website:

newfoundlandlabrador.com/PlanYourTrip/…

Martin's Bus Service (Corner Brook- Woody Point - Trout River)

Woody Point

Cox's Lane, Woody Point, Newfoundland and Labrador

+1 (709) 453 2207

martins.transportation@nf.sympatico.ca

Norpen Bus Service (Corner Brook - Plum Point - Englee - Roddickton)

Englee

Englee, Newfoundland and Labrador, A0K 2J0

+1 (709) 866 2281

Pittman's Bus Service

Rocky Harbour

Rocky Harbour, Newfoundland and Labrador, A0K 4N0

+1 (709) 458 2084

Here is the ONLY relatively up-to-date (from 2010) information that I can find about bus service up the Northern Peninsula on the internet other than the listings above:

• NorPen Bus Service operates a passenger shuttle/courier service between Englee and Corner Brook on Monday and Friday – leaves Englee at 7am for Corner Brook, departs Corner Brook for Englee at 4:30pm. Passenger rates for Cow Head to Corner Brook are $30.00, Cow Head to Deer Lake are $25.00. Call one/two weeks ahead for reservations – they get booked up quickly (mini-van).

Please Note: Passengers and packages are picked up/dropped at the Gros Morne Resort on the highway between Cow Head and St. Paul’s. Check for pick-up/drop-off times when making reservations.

So that gets you to Cow Head from Deer Lake. I don't know if you can get off/on at Rocky Harbour.

I couldn't find anything else that is fairly current. If I were you I'd rent a car for the week or whatever your entire stay is. Your three day rental is only going to include about 450 kms. and additional kms. are usually around 15 cents each. It is 450 kms. one way to L'Anse aux Meadows so you are up to 900 kms return. If you take the car rental for a full week and don't drive very much more you'll have almost enough "free" kms. included. You would be a very lucky individual to find a rental car that includes more than 150 kms. included in the rental price here on the island.

Enjoy your trip here but don't count on public transportation as a way of getting around. The entire population of the island (not including Labrador) is less than most medium-sized cities (480,000) over 111,000 sq. kms.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bus schedules and rate between Rocky Harbour & Deer Lake

Rending a car for 6 days cost $715.22 (including tax , Loss Damage Waiver and Personal Accident Insurance). So, I thought I can take a taxi if I spend the same amount of money.

I'm thinking of giving up the trip to L'Anse Aux Meadows and staying in Gros Morne for six days.

Edited: 19 June 2011, 23:07
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus schedules and rate between Rocky Harbour & Deer Lake

Your choice. Not the choice I'd likely make but to each their own.

It's difficult getting anywhere or doing anything here in Newfoundland without a vehicle.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bus schedules and rate between Rocky Harbour & Deer Lake

I appreciate your advice, Gutch2. I think you’re giving me realistic travel idea. I can’t find a good way of traveling NL with out renting a car, either.

I wish I were a good driver. I’m really afraid of driving in an unfamiliar place.

I’m regretting not joining in a group tour. I’m going to cancel airline tickets and try different place where I can travel easily. Thank you.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bus schedules and rate between Rocky Harbour & Deer Lake

Don't give up on Newfoundland. If you can drive in Vancouver you should have no problem in Newfoundland. There is much, much less traffic. There are fewer roads so navigation is much simpler. It is a fantastic place.

6. Re: bus schedules and rate between Rocky Harbour & Deer Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 10:18