We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations - inexpensive?

Kitchener, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Accomodations - inexpensive?

Hello,

My husband and I are travelling to Gros Morne this July 2012 and we would like to find inexpensive clean accomodations (under $100/night) for 3-4 days. We are in our 50's. Any recommendations? Thanks, Teresa

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,746 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations - inexpensive?

B&B listings for Gros Morne are here: bbcanada.com/newfoundland/western_region/gro… I clicked on a couple that were $65 to $80.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
624 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations - inexpensive?

trip advisor.www.bbcanada.com or www.canadaselect.com. the stars tell you a lot about the place 5 being the top and 2.5 the lowest.If they are not on canadaselect they are not tourism licensed or inspected every one in your tourism guide will be on www.canadaselect.com watch out for words like private bath this can your bathroom in another building,.use trip advisor after you find a place you like for comments on it. www.bbcanada.com is a paid website and anyone with a empty bedroom can advertise on it even to the point of kicking the kids out of thier room to let you rent it.if you find a place on bbcanada check to see if they are on www.canadaselect.com if not then you know that they are not licensed, not inspected, and probaly not insured.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations - inexpensive?

Almost but not quite (and you should know since you own a B&B) Canada Select is not affiliated with the Provincial Government and membership with Canada Select (A B&B marketing Association) is not a requirement to be licenced, pass a health and safety inspection or to carry insurance.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations - inexpensive?

Teresa: To answer your question, we use Bay Side Cottages when we go to Gros Morne. They are large, very clean and under $100.

http://www.baysidegrosmorne.com/

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodations - inexpensive?

To pick up on Greyhoundlovers comments about www.bbcanada,com... we have used them to find accommodation in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scot and Newfoundland. All the places we booked from the site were excellent and I would certainly use then for another trip. I did email of phone before booking to check out on any details which weren't clear.

However my main source of information about booking for Newfoundland was the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism book which is excellent.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
624 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodations - inexpensive?

Sorry your wrong Doggles

Canada select is a private company who inspects and rates property's for all tourism boards in Canada except Quebec and to be listed in the Newfoundland tourism guide and be reconized as a licensed tourism property in print or on the web with Newfoundland tourism you have to be inspected and I am not talking a health inspection.

If you get the yearly tourism guide every hotel, motel, B&B,cottages, Inn,all property's in the book have assigned stars beside thier name. The stars are not awarded by tourism but by CS and reconized by tourism, you will not find any propertys with out the stars in the book,what this means you have to be inspected and the only one's who inspects is Canada select.

The Newfoundland health board does not inspect B&B's kitchens but should!!.

A few motels and B&B's that refuse to be inspected thus are not in the tourism book or licensed by tourism but maybe only bussiness licensed by the town or city that they fall into. You can run a B&B unlicensed by tourism,uninsured,and never inspected and be on BB canada but not on CS and these do exist in the every province.

We do pay a yearly fee to Canada select, what they transfer to newfoundland tourism I dont know.The yearly rate includes our every 2nd year inspection,reporting to tourism,and web space to promote our propertys.

BB canada is a paid website and any one can purchase website space.

I hope this helps.

I am sorry I didnt mean to hijack your forum posting.

7. Re: Accomodations - inexpensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:42