We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to do a 2-3 day backpacking hike in Gros Morne?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Where to do a 2-3 day backpacking hike in Gros Morne?

Besides doing the Green Gardens (long version) is there other scenic trail where one can backpack and camp along the way...?

The Long Range and North Rim traverses are for experienced (map and compass) hikers which I'm not or need to hire a professional guide (or tour)...

Thanks

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to do a 2-3 day backpacking hike in Gros Morne?

First, I'm not sure why you would want to hike continuously for three days :).

However, if you are one of these people who do, and they are out there, and you have done these type of treks before, you won't find the back country in GMNP too difficult.

I am not a wilderness guru and I have done the back country in GM a number of times. That being said, the area, and NL in general has a steep learning curve and needs some basic proficiency. The terrain is similar to northern Quebec.

If you don't do three day hikes in your real life and just want to experience the remote parts of NL the longer trails (Bakers Brook, Green Gardens, GM Mountain) can all be done, or maybe even do two a day, and are very enjoyable.

Gros Morne National...
Level Contributor
536 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to do a 2-3 day backpacking hike in Gros Morne?

Not sure if this will help but google the appalachian trail in Newfoundland. I have "heard" that it is working its way up the island on the west coast and is going into Trout River and Woody Point. Like I said, not sure of the details, but I keep hearing things about that.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to do a 2-3 day backpacking hike in Gros Morne?

If you can't do the backcountry in GMNP you should avoid the Appalachian trail route as well.

4. Re: Where to do a 2-3 day backpacking hike in Gros Morne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:16