We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Gros Morne-October

Charlottetown...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Gros Morne-October

Hello,

I am planning a honeymoon to Gros Morne mid-october. We are planning on hiking up Gros Morne one day (hopefully we'll make it), but was wondering what other activities and must-do things people recommend. Also, we're looking at renting a cottage. Any ideas. I was thinking either Alderbed, Gros Morne cabins or burnt hill cottages. Any recommendations there?

Thanks.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Gros Morne-October

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!

Gros Morne, my favourite spot in Newfoundland...I would be happy to provide some suggestions.

For hikes, probably those that provide the most spectacular and dramatic scenery, are Gros Morne Mountain, Green Gardens and The Lookout Trail. Easier and shorted walks are around two ponds in the park, Berry Hill Pond and Berry Head. Both are lovely at evening.

For water adventures, I would recommend kayaking with Gros Morne Adventures and / or the fiord boat tours at either Western Brook or Trout River. There have been a school of porpoises in Bonne Bay throughout this summer and are easily visible in kayak.

For beach walks, I would suggest Western Brook beach and Shallow Bay, both lovely although coming from PEI, you have probably enjoyed a multitude of beach walks!

Be sure to get some packed lunches from Java Jack's or The Kayak Cafe to take with you for hike or picnic lunches....delicious.

Sunset at Lobster Cove Lighthouse is beautiful.

All the cabins you suggest are quite nice. Alderbed are probably the most attractive but do not have views of the water. The other two do. Alderbed have a loft design, there are only a few cabins at this spot and they constantly have a no vacancy sign. Gros Morne cabins are directly on the ocean, facing west and the sunset and are in an ideal location for walking into Rocky harbour where most of the restaurants are located. Alderbed are fairly close to Rocky harbour, definately walkable. Burnt Hill overlook Bonne Bay and the Tablelands but are not directly on the ocean. I am not familiar with them all inside so can not do a comparison.

If you are travelling anywhere near Steady Brook, just outside of Corner Brook, the ziplining will be an awesome experience and the colors through the Humber Valley in October will be spectacular.

Good luck with the planning.

Charlottetown...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Gros Morne-October

Thanks So much SteffieNL,

The advice is much appreciated. Yes, we do have many beaches on the island...but a beach walk is ALWAYS nice!:)

Thanks for the info regarding food, that will come in handy for sure, as well as the help regarding cabins, its sometimes hard to pick with limited pictures.

I do plan on ziplining:)...although its gonna be a secret..(shhhhh)...and hopefully my fiance isn't on tripadvisor and reading this thread either!

Again, thanks for the helpful advice,

Kindest regards

3. Re: Honeymoon in Gros Morne-October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Gros Morne National...