We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gros Morne NP in October

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Gros Morne NP in October

We will arrive by ferry in Port aux Basques the last day of September. We have a place to stay close to the ferry that night then have 2 full days to take in Gros Morne NP. I see that the Western Brook Boat Tours have closed by then. I saw mention of some private boat tours of Trout River Pond. Can anyone comment on this...are they still available early October? Can any names be recommended? Also, any general recommendations of sights this time of year? We like to hike, generally hikes of a moderate nature, 5 or 6 hours max. We also enjoy scenic drives, places to get out and walk a little. Most of the posts I have seen are for the summer months, I am looking for suggestions for early October. I saw comments of Caribou coming down in late Sept/Oct, any suggestions on where to view them? Thanks!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
671 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gros Morne NP in October

I would contact bon tours they usually run the boats once a day in western brook as long as numbers are still going. The caribou any where from rocky harbour north in the open bogs

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gros Morne NP in October

In October you can expect most of the smaller "tourist attractions" to be closed. Some of the B&Bs may have closed as well but some will still be open. Once the tourists leave in September a lot of businesses don't have reason to stay open for long unless they are in a larger centre.

Rocky Harbour...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gros Morne NP in October

There is lots left to do in October in Gros Morne

The Western Brook Pond Tour runs until Oct 14th just contact them

The Parks Canada Discovery centre in Woody Point is open to visit and Explore same for the Visitor Centre in Rocky Harbour

The Tablelands Hike is a great hike and less than 5 hours

Many of the restaurants will be open just on limited schedules so pick one and call ahead

Lobster Cove Head Lighthouse will be open

Gros Morne Fall Fest runs October 2-5th in Cow Head

You will see Moose and caribou on the scenic drive from Rocky Harbour north to Cow Head

Fall colors are out and other great scenic hikes are

South Side - Green Gardens (Short route 3 hrs), The Look Out (2hr), Tablelands , Woody Point Community Trail

Central - Burnt Hill (Norris Point), Salmon Point (Rocky Harbour), Lobster cove Lighthouse Trails, Coastal Trail, Bakers Brook Trail 3hrs,

North - Western Brook trail, Cow Head Community Trail, Broom Point

Gros Morne National...
Level Contributor
514 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gros Morne NP in October

In October you will be experiencing a Newfoundland autumn and see the leaves in their color which will be magnificent; some shorter hikes on the south side of the bay include two in the town of Trout River - one to the lighthouse and one on the north side of town that overlooks sea stacks. The tablelands trail is a nice hike as is the hike to Partridgeberry HIll behind the Discovery Center. There is also the Lomond Trail/Stanleyville Trail and of course Green Gardens and the Trout River Pond Trail. A word of caution though is that there is moose hunting in the park this autumn - some sections are for the entire season and sections near the more popular trails have limited seasons. Check with headquarters when you are here. pc.gc.ca/eng/…visit.aspx Lastly I live on the south side of the bay and we saw six caribou this week between the Tablelands Trail and the Green Gardens trailhead at Wallace Brook.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
671 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gros Morne NP in October

You probably wont see to many moose, but you will see the road hunters and traffic jams as these so called hunters drive up and down HWY 430 @ 5 km a hour looking for their Moose, then they park on the shoulder one on each side making 430 a one lane highway.Be very careful and call the RCMP with license plate numbers of people doing this. The RCMP and the wardens who said this year they will be out in full force to ticket the road hunters for highway infractions.

The numbers of moose being seen this summer was way down from previous years but we also had a very hard winter.

Rocky Harbour...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gros Morne NP in October

Do not worry about hunting, you mentioned you would be in the park during the first few days of October...Hunting inside the park where any trails are will not start until Oct 14th.

Hence you wont have to worry about hunters driving on the road either.

Enjoy your trip to the park and the dynamic changing of the leaves comfortable hike with no flies and feeling like you have a national park to yourself!

Gander NL
Level Contributor
982 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gros Morne NP in October

We really liked the discovery centre last summer and Trout River too. sounds like an ideal time to be visiting. Yes, moose spottings were rare this year in our travels too but they are still out there somewhere. Enjoy!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
671 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gros Morne NP in October

I just checked Bon tours website looks like they are stopping the tours this Friday 03/10/14

9. Re: Gros Morne NP in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2015, 06:16