We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early September

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Early September

We will be visiting the area in early September. We will be staying in Beaupre, Friday to Friday. Is this early enough that most shops, wineries and attractions will still be open on the island during the week? Are there any of the above that we should not miss in the area? We love great wine and great food, savoring the local flavor of a new place and enjoying as much as we can see. Thank you all in advance!

3 replies to this topic
Montreal
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Early September

Everything will be open at that time. No problem.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 16:59
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Early September

The wineries are fun to visit but I do like to caution people that these are not California Wine Estates either. Most are family run operations, some bigger than others. Also the wine might be a little different to some though I enjoy them. Enjoy the wineries but keep your expectations open.

JDP

Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Early September

We were just there two days ago and loved our day driving around the island. The woman at the information bureau right when you drive onto the island was helpful and took her time to circle the businesses on the map that were open that day, since it's not quite the season yet and not all the businesses were open.

I highly recommend stopping at Maison Cassis Monna & Filles to taste their products - they were absolutely delicious and the show room is nicely done. The chocolate covered ice cream at La Chocolaterie de l'Île d'Orléans really is as good as all the reviews say - wow, what a good stop! We had lunch at Auberge au Poste de Traite and were very happy with it - you can see my post about it. It doesn't look like much from the front, but it was a nice place to stop, and there's a terrace out back if you want to eat outside. We also liked the bakery - I don't remember the name but it is across from the large church and cemetery on the other side of the island. The church and cemetery were also nice stops, as was the observatory tower.

The only place I wasn't really happy with was one of the cidreries, Domaine Steinbach. It's a beautiful location and there's a deck overlooking the river. But I thought they were really overpriced for what you got compared to everyplace else we went on the island and in the Eastern Townships area. We just wanted the simple tasting which I think was 5 ciders for $4 and instead of pouring the tastings into a glass, there is a little refrigerator filled with very small plastic containers (sort of like you might use for ketchup) with tops on them. The sales person just took out the little containers of what you selected, put them on a wooden board, and that was our tasting. Each container held a pretty tiny amount. No explanations, no discussion of the ciders or products, no offer of a tour - nada. Maybe because it was such a dead day, with very little traffic, who knows?

Reply to: Early September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ile d'Orleans