We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report : Ile d'Orleans

Hernando...
Level Contributor
58 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report : Ile d'Orleans

I would strongly suggest a visit to the Ile d’Orleans. It is such a picturesque, bucolic little island just a few minutes’ drive from Quebec City. Be prepared to spend several hours to explore all that the island has to offer. We spent an entire morning driving around the island, stopping for pictures, climbing to the top of the observation tower and sampling some of the delicious food items available. We traveled to the Ile d’Orleans on June 4th which is before the peak summer season. Several of the places we thought about stopping at were not yet open. If they had been, we could have easily spent even more time on this beautiful island.

We stopped at Chocolaterie de l’Ile d’Orleans for breakfast and delicious chocolates, stopped at a roadside stand for some fresh strawberries (which were delicious! - Thankfully, the strawberry crop was 3 weeks early this year, we were told.), stopped at a poissonnerie in St Pierre for smoked fish and stopped at the Cidre Domaine Steinbach were we sampled mustards, chutneys, jellies, and ciders and ice cider. We discovered that some of the restaurants were not yet open for the summer season but were pointed to Resto-Pub l’O2 de I’Ile for lunch where we had a good, quick lunch. While the people working at these stops spoke more French and less English than the people we encountered in Montreal and Quebec City restaurants and stores, thanks to their English and my much, much more limited French, we were able to communicate just fine. They were all very nice and indulgent with my attempts at communicating in French.

The entire island was beautiful, and each of its villages were unique. Even the architecture and building materials changed some depending on the village, though you can find red roofs throughout the island. We enjoyed observing the differences in these villages – from the agricultural areas with its rolling farmland and livestock to the maritime areas to the areas dotted with vineyards – and enjoyed seeing the differing views from around the island - Quebec City, Montmorency Falls, the St. Lawrence River and the Laurentian Mountains. Each time I would think that is my favorite view, it would quickly be replaced by a new favorite. I would suggest taking time to stop from time to time to take in these views. I would also suggest climbing the observation tower; it is not a long climb and definitely not a steep climb, and the views it affords of the river, mountains and the island are amazing.

The bridge to Ile d’Orleans is opposite the exit for Montmorency Falls. I would suggest after visiting the Ile d’Orleans, cross over and visit the falls too. Montmorency Falls although much more narrow than Niagara are higher than Niagara. We took the tram to the top and enjoyed the walk to the observation deck and across the bridge across the falls. The views from the bridge down on the falls (we caught several glimpses of rainbows in the spray) and the views across to the Ile d’Orleans were beautiful. We could just feel the power of the falls, especially while standing about it on the bridge.

We both really enjoyed this part of the trip.

12 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report : Ile d'Orleans

This post is now 6 years old. Please start your own new queries and let this thread die.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report : Ile d'Orleans

You know what rickb, I'm on TA's cruises forum often and they have threads going back 5/6 years and I can't get anyone there to start new ones. I finally gave up, even though some information gets outdated. Since this beautiful island doesn't get a lot of questions/comments maybe it is just best to let it be.

JDP

Reply to: Trip Report : Ile d'Orleans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ile d'Orleans