We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
st john to Jost van dyke

hi i have read some reports that the ferry that runs from st. john to jost van dyke stops at Tortola. I was curious if Tortola is the only place for customs? when you read the ferry list it dosent mention that you stop in Tortola, so i was under the impression that it was a direct ferry to Jost.

thanks for anyones help,

sam

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

Hi, you need to clear customs and immigration into the BVI to visit Jost, so you will be stopping in the west end of Tortola (Jost is a very short trip from there). In total it's about an hour experience beginning to end including customs clearing.

cheers,

Michael

ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

oh, ok.

what are your dates that your going? i read in your other post that your going thanksgiving week. were staying in the pink house on white bay Nov 22 - 29th, maybe we'll catch up with you and have a drink.

my husband use to be a history teacher.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

hey there,

we actually go down every year around the same time, we'll be on tortola nov 21st-dec 5th, staying on Tortola at Fort Recovery. If you're on island be sure to send me a PM then :)

-Michael

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

The last time I went from St John to Jost was December 2000 and you cleared customs just off the dock in Great Harbor. What happened with this???? Why the stop in Tortola now?

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

went from st john to jost in May of 2007, and we too cleared customs on the dock at jost. It was nothing more than a guy sitting at a table on the porch in the shade. It took no more than 3 minutes for everyone on the boat to get through. It was definitely a nice relaxing way to start our trip.

Holtsville NY
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

Hi Sammy, We will be leaving just before you arrive Nov 13th-21 st, just wondering are you planning on ordering food from Bobbys Marketplace ? we kinda did a preliminary shopping list, and our total was way over 200.00, and that was just breakfast, snacks and some "other tidbits" Just wondering what others do ??

Bonnie

ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

yes, were planning on ordering food from Bobby's. we will have our list together by next weekend, i'm thinking ours will be around $200.00 if not more. where are you staying?

Holtsville NY
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

Sammy, we are staying at White Bay Villas, Sunset Villa west. Ok so 200.00 or more does sound reasonable I quess. How many in your party ? Its just me and my husband. We plan on eating all of our dinners out & most of our lunches for that matter, we are ordering mostly snacks, drinks, lol, some actual food. Have you been there before ?

Bonnie

ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

We have 4 people in our group; we plan on eating dinner out most every night. Our lunches will be at the house. I'm not surprised you spent 200.00, it quickly adds up. Go back through your list and see what you can do w/o. I would call the manager of your place (where your staying) and see if the previous guest left condiments or what~ever. We are also bringing some dry goods with us. Last year we spent 300.00 in st. John on the provisioning, and left 1/2 of it there. We found ourselves eating at the beach bar or drinking and forgetting to eat. lol, but it happens.

We have been to Jost only on a day trip from St. John and loved the fact of having a house right on the beach (a lovely beach). Someone e-mailed me a told me all the great places to eat at on Jost.

Were very excited, 63 days won't come fast enough...then I will wish it back when it's over.

I know what your going through it's hard to plan the unknown.

Holtsville NY
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: st john to Jost van dyke

Thanks for the info, yeah I know we did go alittle crazy on the food thing, Im sure we probably could trim a bit. We are thinking of bringing a few dry goods with us, but then we have to keep in mind the airline restrictions now on luggage.

On a different topic, do you know what the cell phone service was like in these islands? We have verizon, and we will need to check on the kiddies at home.

Thanks again

Bonnie

Get answers to your questions about Jost Van Dyke
Recent Conversations