We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

They took the gas

2 posts
Save Topic
They took the gas

Went to Gertrudes for late sept. dinner. Only ones there, were nice until a young man came in after we ate with a guitar and asked if I was George Bush from Texas. Felt he didn't like the US government with a anti US song. Felt very uncomfortable ,only a few of us on boats in the bay. Late at night gasoline was stolen from the dingy,violating our privacy on a well needed vacation,which was our first night out. If only the residents know, how much we question our government ,we work hard,and we do respect each others property. Needless to say, we had to almost abandon our well needed vacation, but the people at Sunsail understood how we felt and we departed everyday from Tortola. Sure we would like to have anchored everynite somewhere else, but not sleeping nights to protect the boat dosen't make for a good vacation.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: They took the gas

Sounds like a nasty experience all round; however, I think theft was just that - theft, pure and simple - at a time when oil prices were high.

Even in South Carolina, where I own a home, local fishermen are having trouble paying to fuel their boats. If somebody saw an easy tank of gas, he might have taken it from a person he assumed could afford to purchase more. Tension between haves and have-nots is world wide; you could have been a sailor of any nationality.

As to the singer, the friendly people of the BVI are not known for strong political statements about world politics. They are more interested in imporving their own lives. Tourism has both contributed and detracted from their way of life.

If there was any involvement of the singer in the theft, then the anti-US statements were probably devised to make you feel guilty (a time honored American trait) and somehow responsible for your own loss.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: They took the gas

I am so sorry you had this experience. I have chartered boats in the VI as well as the Bahamas and have never had a problem. PLEASE do not let one bad experience define your opinion of the Virgin Islands or of it's people. We have always found the locals to be kind, caring, and appreciative of our tourism. Can I ask how you knew that your fuel was stolen? I hope you will re-visit the islands and know that what happened to you is most definetly NOT the norm.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: They took the gas

to: dtentel, I heard a dingy about 3 a.m. and looked out and it was going past the rear of the boat. In the morning when we woke, I looked at our dingy and the gas can was disconnected,upside down and the gas was missing.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: They took the gas

If you search in these forums, you will find other examples of theft and crime in the BVI. There are even instances of sailboats being burglarized while while their occupants were on-shore for dinner.

The islands are idyllic in many ways, and crime is rare. The real "belongers" are extremely honest. Unfortunately there seems to be an increase in thefts and burglaries, especially since the cruise ships started bringing in so many more tourists ... and also attracting the bad sort that prey upon easy marks.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
441 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: They took the gas

I have not been back to the BVI for about 5 years. Before that I had gone every year for 15 years. During that time we never had any problems whatsoever. You could leave you boat open and unattended with valuables on board and you did not need to worry.

I always heard rumors about an unofficial "police force". Someone steals in the BVI and they weren't around to do it again.

Seems that times have changed. I understand now that charter companies are putting safes on yachts. It is very sad.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: They took the gas

I was quite shaken to hear about this crime spree last year -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147354-i546-k1118…

7. Re: They took the gas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Jost Van Dyke