We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to and on JVD

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
travel to and on JVD

Well - as you may have read - we're staying at Ivan's for two nights in January as part of a multi-island hop.

So - some questions.

How do we get from STT to JVD on a Thursday? Seems to me we must ferry from STT to Tortola then to JVD. Is this the best/only way?

When we leave on Saturday we'll be going to STJ. I believe there is a ferry direct from JVD to STJ then. Right?

Lastly, what is the best way to get from ferry dock on JVD to Ivan's campground? Will there be cabs just hanging around? Approximate cost? Is there a little grocery store near the dock where we could get a few provisions?

People talk about the "long walk" from Soggy & One Love to Ivans. How far is it actually? Is it trecherous at night?

Lastly - I have read the reviews, but I'd love to hear from anyone with more to offer on the Ivan's experience.

Thanks all!!

-Dragon

BVI
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to and on JVD

I've never stayed at Ivans (I live on a boat) and cant answer your ferry question (same reason), but I can tell you it is about a 15 minute walk from Ivan to soggy dollar. I would not call it trecherous, but you will need to watch your footing in one area, which is more of a goat path than a person path, and then you have to walk over rocks for a few steps. Just be careful. There is a grocery store close to the ferry... in fact there are several small ones. The cab ride is very short. I have walked from the ferry dock to soggy dollar in about 45 minutes. I hope this helps. Capt. derek s/v bella vita

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to and on JVD

@Dragon-- I'm planning our 2 week December trip to Ivan's JVD and STJ now so I've got some answers fr ryou.

If you have to travel on a Thursdauy I think you will have to take the ferry from STT to Tortola (road town) and then ataxi to the west end ferry dock and then the ferry to Jost. However, depending on what time of year you are traveling they sometimes run the Interisland Ferry from STT-STJ-JVD on Thursday. That would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to go. Check with them directly regarding their schedule: 284-495-4166.

Yes there is a ferry from JVD to STJ on Saturday. You have two options: 9:15 am or 3:15 pm (I'm pretty sure that's right).

As for provisions, after speaking with Ivans daughter by phone and subsequent on line searches it seems that there isn;t much of a selection of grocery options on Jost. Ivans daughhter recommended Bobby's superett on Tortola for provisioning services. Just google them. They look pretty good.

We stayed at Ivans for a night last June and I regret that I didn;t look at the communal kitchen that closely so I am reluctant to go the Bobby's route until I know how much space we would have and the conditions for cooking.

If you're coming from Tortola anyway you could just shop there and bring it over with you to Jost. That's one thought.

As for getting to the dock to Ivans there are plenty of cabs on hand when the ferry gets there but one they go, its tough to get them back. cab service on island is random and usually $5 each way per person no matter where you go.

Since you are staying overnight you might consider a car rental. It's run you about $80 but it might be worth it.

As for the walk. Not treacherous but wear SHOES and it gets harder the more intoxicated you are.

Overall we liked Ivans for our one night stay last summer and liekd it so much we are staying for a week this time.

It's VERY spartan and if you want comforts you need to bring them. But for the price IMHO you can't beat it. By staying there we are able to spend twice as much time in the VI for about the same $$ we would spend on STJ for one week alone.

Hope this helps....

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to and on JVD

Helps a lot! Thank you both, I am thinking we should bring a flashlight for the nighttime trek to and from Soggy to Ivans. We went to Jost on a daysail a in 2008, and spent so much time at lunch in Great Bay that we had very limited time in White Bay, I felt cheated and am so anxious to go back there, this seems like a great way to do it. Without a doubt White Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches ever.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to and on JVD

Glad to be of assistance. BTW-- apologies for all the typos! I was in a hurry yesterday. I truly am not that grammatically ignorant!

If you read my review of Ivans on this forum, I've got a packing list that I put together that you might find useful.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to and on JVD

We were on JVD in May and I took some photos of the walk along the beach from Soggy Dollar to Ivans. Here is the path that goes over the small hill - you definitely want to wear at least sandals, and use a flashlight at night:

…smugmug.com/Vacation/…878348492_iqRsX

It is really "hit or miss" in terms of groceries at the small stores on JVD. I suggest trying to bring what you can with you in terms of dried cereal, snacks, drinks, etc. Gregory Callwood, who owns the "Perfect Pineapple" units on the small hill a few hundred yards behind Sandcastle has opened a store at the bend in the road below his accommodations and you should be able to purchase a few things there:

…smugmug.com/gallery/…878690313_pHYs5

By the way, here is the view of White Bay from one of the White Bay Villa Hillside Villas near the top of the hill above White Bay. I point out Ivan's partway through the video:

youtube.com/user/…3JpVW3hRYus

And here are some photos of Ivan's:

…smugmug.com/Vacation/…

We snorkeled with a turtle for several minutes in about 8 ft of water pretty much directly out from Ivan's:

youtube.com/user/honeymoon2#p/u/7/7BvRvv-vsdo

And there is a ton of fish a little further out, at the point:

youtube.com/user/honeymoon2#p/u/8/w3quO-OrvDs

Have a great trip, alashas

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to and on JVD

We'll only be there for two nights so I think we'll be able to get by on what they provide. The only thing we are thinking of bringing is sheets.

What kind of stuff will you be bringing?

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to and on JVD

@Traveling Dragon- See my post on the other forum you posted a question on.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to and on JVD

Dragon, from Ivan's to the Soggy Dollar bar is about 5-6 minutes. You walk down the beach, manuever over some rocks and then it's a incline over a small hill, mound really! Then you are there... From STT, you would take a ferry from the Charlotte Amalie ferry dock (NOT RED HOOK). There are many that go to West End, Tortola. You will need to land by 3:30 in order to use the public ferry. Then you will catch the 6pm froe West End to Jost. There is a direct ferry Friday - Tuesday on the Inter Island ferry service. You can find their # on www.vinow.com. There are cabs waiting when the ferry comes to Jost. It's really "NOT" a long walk. Bring a flashlight and you'll be fine.

Edited: 02 August 2010, 21:01
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel to and on JVD

alashas - Thank you so much for the links that wonderful video really helped put the location into prespective....I hope we are fortunate enough to swim with a turtle..........such an amazingly beautiful and serene place.

Florida City...
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel to and on JVD

Hello and congrats! I stay at Ivans every summer, but in a guesthouse. There are taxi's at the ferry dock, has always been for me anyhow, and its 5$ person for 2 or more people. There are several grocery stores in Great Harbour. Once you get to Ivans, yes taxi, you won't need a vehicle. The walk to White Bay is very easy...but yes bring a flashlight! Ivan has a list of taxi drivers at the bar so you can call for one from there if needed for return ferry. Have fun!

Get answers to your questions about Jost Van Dyke
Recent Conversations