We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping

Hampton, VA
Level Contributor
69 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopping

Been there 5 times. Bareboated, villa and crewed cat. Going around Feb 2013 with wife, daughter and friend. Like the idea of island hopping this time. Fly into Beef Island, Tortola, spend a night there, two nights in Anegada (by ferry), maybe a night in JVD and finish it back in Tortola. Looking for suggestions for accomodations. Have stayed in Village Cay marina, Elvett's Elm Beach Suites and the Jolly Roger in the past.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping

That's a lot of traveling for a vacation. You may want to consider staying longer in 1 or 2 places and then taking day trips to places you want to see. You'll be spending a lot of time and money going to the different places and relying on the ferry systems. Just a suggestion!

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopping

That is a lot of island hopping in what looks like about a 7 night vacation you are planning? We did 11 nights on out one trip down (3 on Virgin Gorda, 2 on Anegada, 6 on Jost) and that felt like alot of moving around. Anegada is a good distance.

The trip from Anegada back to Tortola, to then taxi to the west end ferry & take that to Jost took a good 1/2 day so by time you get settled on Jost it would be mid afternoon. You would have a couple beach hours then the night, and be up early back on a ferry. Anegada is nice, but it is the difficult one to fit in a short itinerary because ferries only run I think 2 days of the week to and from Tortola.

If you can fly into Tortola, I may suggest to stay there maybe 3 or 4 nights, do a day trip from there to Virgin Gorda for 1 of the days if you want to see the Baths, and then take the Ferry at West End Tortola over to Jost for at least 2 or 3 nights, then it is just a Ferry ride back to Tortola and a cab to beef island on the day of departure.

This gives a little time to experience each of the islands culture and people. I love Jost and have made my travels include at least 5-7 days because I have friends there. I just think 1 day on that island, you will be craving more time there. If you do stay on Anegada, suggest the Anegada Reef Hotel.

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island hopping

Sorry, forgot to mention some accommodations. We have also stayed at Jolly Roger on Tortola which was fine for sleep and great food, but if you want to stay at other end by Beef Island we stayed at the Beef Island Guest House. On Anegada the Anegada Reef Hotel. On Jost, Ivy’s Sea Crest in is nice,(over in Great Harbor) which is right up from Foxy’s, or Ivan’s campground now has apartments, small cabin, or tent camping, also stayed at Perfect Pineapple (great place) which is over in White Bay by all the beach bars. If happen to be looking for lodging at Virgin Gorda, I DO NOT suggest the Wheel House. Cheap if looking for place to just sleep, but very dirty.

Tortola
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island hopping

Sure, Ferries are pretty quick. Nevertheless, I would recommend the party places first (Jost Van Dyke, Tortola) and chill out at Anegada towards the end of your trip. Just beware, the cruise schip schedules change often. To begin with, look at Jost Van Dyke Ferry schedules at www.newhorizonferry.com

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island hopping

Concur with the others about a lot of ilon hopping in a week, it would be great if you can stretch your trip to 10 days. Depending on the time your flight arrives in Tortola, you might want to try to get to JVD on your first day, but definitely stay your last night (or 2) on Tortola.

On JVD, Sandcastle is probably already booked. We really like the new Hillside units at White Bay Villas. Also check Perfect Pineapple on JVD.

We had a terrific stay at Loblolly Villa on Anegada.

have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Boston
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island hopping

FYI, in Feb. some places may have a minimum number of nights which might affect your planning.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island hopping

You should look into chartering a boat. By the time you add up hotel rooms,taxis,ferry fares,meals etc, you'd be surprised how close in cost per person a charter can be. All your stuff is with you, so no wasted time packing every couple of days. Can't hurt to look.

8. Re: Island hopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Jost Van Dyke
Recent Conversations