We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JVD Memorial Day Weekend

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
JVD Memorial Day Weekend

We will be staying on JVD over Memorial Day Weekend May 24-27. I realize May is typically considered an off peak month but what can we expect during our stay? Will there be more going on than usual due to the holiday weekend? Will all of the restaurants and bars be open? Should we expect alot of rain? Are incects bad during this time period? Your thoughts are much apprecaited.

Edited: 17 April 2013, 13:52
Billings, MT
Level Contributor
288 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

We stayed there last year Memorial Day weekend. It was also The Wooden Boat Regatta weekend. White Bay was PACKED...boats, loud music etc...on Sunday and Monday. Come Tuesday, things settled down a bit. Soggy Dollar was super busy, but a short walk down the beach, no lines, no waiting. The weather was gorgeous and the bugs weren't bad at all. All restaurants/bars were open. We will be there again this year, same weekend. You didn't say where you were staying...but until about 9:30am White Bay Beach is virtually deserted...then again after 5:00 or so.

Mentioned in this post
White Bay
White Bay
605 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Billings, MT
Level Contributor
288 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

I don't know if you've stayed on JVD before, but we found out the hard way that you should make arrangements for dinner by 3:30 or so the day of. We wanted to try One Love but there was only 5 of us and they needed a minimum of 6 to stay open ( that night anyway ). Then , just 3 of us went to Corsairs in Great Harbour (without reservations) and Vinnie ( the owner ) gave us a bit of a hard time. We softened him up a little and he let us sit at the bar and have pizza ...which was amazing :) Foxy's was so busy, it was hard to get a drink, let alone food.

Mentioned in this post
Foxy's
Foxy's
650 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

Hey Anita,

Thanks a lot for the info. We're staying at White Bay Villas from the 19th thru the 26th, so I was curious how crazy things got with the wooden boat regatta. We're heading out early sunday morning on the 26th, so hopefully we'll miss most of the mayhem.

Have you done any excursions from JVD? Its just my wife and I, so we were thinking of getting a dingy for the day or maybe hopping on one of the JVD Scuba trips. Do you have any experience with either option?

Thanks!

Chris

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

Chris, we love WB Villas and think they are among the best places to stay on JVD.We've been on JVD several times, but not during the busy weekend that you will be there. The suggestion about making dinner reservations ahead of time is highly recommended.

We scuba dive with Capt. Colin, and have also done his eco-tour, which we recommend highly. Here is a playlist of JVD video clips, including the stunning views of WB from WB Villas:

www.youtube.com/playlist…

Have a great trip, alashas

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

I have heard that if you go to the little store/snack/food shack that is right by the ferry in Great Harbor that the guy rents a dinghy out for $100 a day and that includes gas. If calm day you can take the dinghy out of great harbor and head to the left and go to Sandy Spit, Sandy Cay, Little Jost.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
328 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

Foxies does a fabulous bbq on Saturday night that was fantastic..busy but lots of fun people and food was really good. If you're interested, stop and make reservations when you arrive.

We're on St John right now and the mosquitos are getting bothersome, so I assume they could also be difficult on JVD. Pack some bug spray and sunscreen.

Restaurant wise you should have no problems...they don't start to close for hurricane season for a while yet.

You picked a great time to experience the island. It's quirky and quaint and definately on island time -be early for the ferry if you're leaving, the cab drivers will return to pick up if they say they will - sometimes it's just a little later then you agreed upon and this is not an island where you "barter" for the cost of the transportation - they charge what they charge take it or leave it.., and always start your conversations with "good morning" or good evening and you won't have any problems,

This is our 6th time to stay on island and we absolutely love it..it's the best place in the caribbean to get away from it all, and to forget all your computer passwords from work...hope you have a wonderful stay - I'm sure we'll see you on the beach at White Bay - we're also going to be there then.....we'll be the tan people with painkillers in hand :)

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
White Bay
White Bay
605 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

The name of the snack shop is Sugar and Spice. Its the first store you pass after leaving the ferry dock. I highly recommend stopping in. Joan Chinnery and her son Kenny were AWESOME. The water was a little rough, so Kenny took us out on the dingy for the same price ($100, plus $20 for gas) and only asked us to tip him if we had fun. We hit Sandy Cay, Sandy Spit, Little Jost, and Foxy's Taboo in under 3 hours. It was incredible, so we threw Kenny an extra 50 bucks.

To top it off, Joan saw us cutting across the harbor and had lunch ready for us once we got back. My wife and I shared a chicken roti and a lobster roti and it was one of the best meals we had on the island. So simple, yet sooooo goood.

Hershey...
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

We were on JVD last year for the wooden boat regatta and it was the busiest boat day but we enjoyed it for the most part. All restaurants are open then and reservations are a must. Ginnie will accommodate you but it may take a bit longer. Worth the wait!!! We were there 12 days and I was eaten alive by the biting bugs. Hubby hardly bit at all. He says i must be sweet meat. Still had a blast but take your spray if you are sweet meat!!!! Lol. We rented a jeep the whole time and would recommend it. Also rented a dinghie for a day and that was a blast too!! Snorkeling was great even after seeing a baby shark and then the mom going back next May.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
74 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

Capn Colin and the Eco tour was great! Patrick was our guide and very friendly and knowledgeable.

10. Re: JVD Memorial Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 07:24
Get answers to your questions about Jost Van Dyke