We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

We are travelling with 2 small children from the UK with Thomas Cook on 23 March 08 for 2 weeks. After reading reviews about crowds of badly behaved students last year at this hotel, I am really worried that this hotel will not be suitable for a family with children if the students arrive again this year.

Can anyone tell me if the 2 weeks that we have booked coincide with the canadian students March break - I am so looking forward to this holiday and want the children to have a great time - please help

toronto
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

It should be fine, March break is Mar 10-14.

cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

After sending an email to the Tryp Hotel, asking if they will be having large groups of students between 23 March and 7 April 08, I have received a reply from them this morning - this is their reply

"will be in that period about 700 canidian students, thanks for asking"

I am absolutely horrifed. I have asked my travel agent to find out more and I will post any news on here.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

I guess that is because of Easter which is March 23, and if I am correct they get a week off..

Thank goodness not heading there, the staff from next door mentioned that it was not pretty that extra security had to be brought in to control them as they were breaking things up and throwing food, bottles, chairs in the pool.

cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

The email address for the Tryp hotel is

ventas1.tcc@solmeliacuba.com

If anyone is worried about their dates I would suggest emailing them. (they do take a few days to reply)

If anyone has any more news about the Easter dates and students, I would love to here from you.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

Unfortunate, a lot of students at the Blau this week and already doing damage to the rooms, I think they should be billed for the damages they are doing.

toronto, on
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

oh my...

last year, unknowingly, i went to varadero during the february reading week and was not pretty. It seems these "students" wait all year to go and become subhuman.

I can't call them animals since animals are actually noble and live by some nature laws but these...

I have had quite a few incidents that year, it is funny since this year i went and everyone still remembers those "incidents"

I honestly feel bad for families that plan their vacations and look forward to them only to arrive to a hotel full of 20 somethings who discover rum for the first time. Especially, when you see a family with small children and these guys are running around the hotel, knocking on random doors just for kicks. What's also frustrating is that security cannot really do much, since tourists are the "always right"

emmnatcheshire..

i hope everything works out well.

cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

Thanks for the info - I am so worried about taking our children there but can't do anything about it now. The holiday is paid for and we travel in 4 weeks. Even if I could change hotel, it seems that these students are taking over Cayo Coco completely. I feel sick that these people can ruin a family holiday like that when we save hard all year to go to lovely places like this.

Please post any info on here or email me direct. It couldn't get any worse - or could it !!

cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

Cubamama - how did you find out about the Blau so quickly ?

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

By looking at the dates you are travelling, I'm not sure where in Canada the 700 students are coming from. You certainly won't have the university and college students because it is long past reading week and just slightly before the start of their final exams.

Most March breaks that I know of will be over by then so you won't have any Ontario high school students there then either.

Hopefully they've given you some mis-information. You may end up having a quieter week than you've been led to believe. Here's hoping :)

calgary
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tryp at Easter with kids - will there be lots of Students?

We are from Western Canada. Many school divisions in Alberta (and I believe British Columbia) are off from Good Friday (March 21st). Schools reopen on March 31st.

I work at a school and have travelled to Cuba a few times at Easter. I have stayed in Holguin (PP and PCV) at Easter and at the Royal Hideaway Ensenachos. The resorts were quite full at Easter, but we never encountered large groups of students.

I hope you have a wonderufl holiday.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco