We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking

Hi all I may be seen as the antichrist here but as one of those "horrible smokers" in a growing percentage of the worlds population how are smokers treated in cuba.Are we exiled to the outdoors or are their smoking areas in the bars. May I first add i do consider others when I smoke and will move away from no smoking people in my company and will not smoke in restaurants. And finally are local ciggies readily available any suggestions on a good local smoke other than cigars (which I intend to indulge in ) thanks, oh and by the way whats the local Beer like I love a pint not too much into spirits. 20 hours from flying hooray

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking

For local beer....Mayabe, Cristal and Buckanero. Cristal is most like the beer I am used to here in Canada. As to local smokes, Hollywoods are the ones I use when away. Pretty much anything else will basically burn your lungs out. I did try a few brands and settled with "Hollywood".

As to the smoking rules, I have figured out that there pretty much isnt any. Except perhaps, in the main dining area of the restuarants/buffets. Recently, I was in a restaurant in Holguin. I was seated with my back to the non-smoking sign that was on the wall. I realized there was no ash tray on the table, so I asked the waitress if I could smoke there. She said "Si!" and brought me an ashtray. My husband then pointed the sign out to me and I felt horrible. The waitress assured me that I could, after I asked her again. I think most places and circumstances and the company in which you are in determine the smoking laws.

I am vigilant about not leaving my butts around tho, thats just nasty.

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking

What about at the airport, as after approx 3 hours in a uk airport ( no smoking anywhere ) then a 10.5 hour flight I am gonna be about ready to kill someone (lol).

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
820 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking

I just got back from Varadero and we had a smoke just after we picked up our bags. It was just about 5 min from getting off the plane. There is a cigarette called Hollywood that is quite good. Alot like a Canadian ciggy.

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking

After you get off the plane, you will see some light up right on the tarmac....I did not, however.....then, go inside, pass thru security...collect your baggage and then straight outside....

Dont worry. You'll make it!

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking

Cheers mate

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking

we stayed at the oasis playa coco,the restaurant there had a side for smoking and non smoking, no difference in the bar.smoking allowed anywhere. bg

Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking

well its very sad for anyone who cant wait that extra 20 mins after they have gone 10 hours on the plane.never mind lightin up in the baggage hall wait till you get out by the coach..

on the return dont worry there are smoking areas inside the airport after check in..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking

Yeah... I smoked Hollywood all the time over there...

About £1.20 a pack and quite good they were too...:¬)

Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking

Hollywood are 2.00cuc per pack Popular are 0.60cuc

anglesey north wales
Level Contributor
225 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking

We have just returned from the Sol and my hubby smoked the red coloured hollywood which was 1.20 peso, if you decide to go outside for a cig upon arival at the airport, you can not go back in to help get your suitcases.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco