We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa and Mastercard

Newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visa and Mastercard

Hello all,

Me and my partner will be traveling soon and are aware that we have to take sterling money. What I want to know is if we run out of money or need some more can we use our Visa or Mastercard?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,072 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa and Mastercard

That entirely depends on the issuing bank of your card. If that bank has any connection with the USA it will not be accepted therefore any MBNA card, American Express, Capital One will not work in Cuba.

If you tell us who the issuing bank is we should be able to tell you if it's OK.

Newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa and Mastercard

Hi thanks thats what I have heard after posting I did a bit of Googling.

We're both with Barclays.

Thanks for you reply

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,072 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa and Mastercard

You will be OK with Barclays, but be aware they will charge you a foreign transaction fee. Read this:

For every foreign currency transaction made on your Barclaycard, a 2.75% commission is charged. The total amount is added to the account and is clearly shown in the summary box on the statement.

The charge is a foreign exchange commission charge on the value of non sterling transactions. It covers costs that Barclaycard incur for foreign transactions and currency conversion.

If you withdrew cash from your Barclaycard while abroad you would still incur the foreign transaction fee, and a cash advance fee of 2.5%. If you withdrew cash from your Barclaycard in the UK, then only the cash advance fee of 2.5% would apply.

It's not a big deal but you should be aware of it.

Newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa and Mastercard

Thanks that is a great help. I wasn't too sure with Visa being an American company and it was just in a worst case scenario.

wales
Level Contributor
325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa and Mastercard

what about Abbey bank and natwest? do you think these will be okay? x

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,364 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa and Mastercard

I asked about Abbey at the branch and they said the new owners, Santander(?) have a stake in the US. Thats all they could tell me.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,072 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa and Mastercard

Nat West will be OK.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa and Mastercard

It is still best to ring your credit card company to check - they will give you up-to-date information and you also have to tell them that you will be using it abroad. There have been cases (reported on Watchdog etc.) where people have had their cards suspended as it is 'unusual' usage, as a security measure.

reading, berkshire...
Level Contributor
286 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa and Mastercard

Hi if you apply for a Post Office credit card I believe that this one will be OK as the provider is the Bank of Ireland and there is no charge for purchases overseas.

10. Re: Visa and Mastercard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco