We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

toronto
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

I had a great time in Cayo Coco Krystal Laguna but the flight both going and coming back was awful. We left July 25th and returned the 6th of August. On the way we switched departure gates 4 times.Once we finally had a departure gate my family 2 adults and child were separated after being told they gave us the wrong seats. On the way back our seats had three other passengers that were deplaning in Holguin. The stewardess was extremely rude and insulting. After the verbal abuse she sang out loud at the back of the plane. We were told to seat at the back of the plane and then told to seat back to our original seats in holguin. From the time were picked up from the Hotel until close to midnight we were not given as much as a snack. A passenger asked for water, even if he paid for it he was told to wait for dinner. An extremely unpleasant experience. To top it our luggage was damaged. thank goodness for the unbeatable Cuban beach.

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

far from the very satisfactory service i've experienced from using sunwing on 3 of my 4 visits to cuba.

Parry Sound, On
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

HI mi madrid,......WE FLEW SUNWING

My sister and I went to Jibacoa last year Oct 10-17th,we had a most lovely relaxing vacation

When we left Veradero we had to make a stop at Camoguey, left Veradero at 6:30, we were to be in Toronto at 11:55pm, which we were, but the fog prevented us from landing, we circled a while then we were given the announcement that we had to go to Ottawa airport. That was all fine and dandy but we just sat on the tarmak, couldn't get off, then around 3am we did another attempt back to Toronto. Again, the fog prevented us from landing, back to Ottawa we went, sitting on the tarmak again, we were told that we would not have a gate open for us until 6:30am, well, that was fine too but once there we could not get off the plane until 8:00am because there were no customs available to clear us. Picture this, nothing to drink or eat through the entire ordeal,except for our dinner that was served to us earlier, let me tell you there were some mighty cranky people!!!! Once off, we did the usual, claim our luggage and all that stuff, get cleared through customs and then finally we were reboarded at 10:30am with a new flight crew and heading back to Toronto, arrived there at 11:15am. 14 hours of being couped up in the plane and another couple in the Ottawa airport, total 17 hours to get back to Toronto. There were Sunwing reps there to pass out letters to us as we unboarded the plane once in at Toronto, stating that they would give a $50.00 travel voucher to be used on next booking with Sunwing. The whole ordeal was absolutely horrid, we felt like refugees waiting to be claimed, although I think refugees probably are treated better than we were. The crew did a very poor job of keeping us posted as to what was being done to get us off the plane. CTV news crew obviously were called to cover the story, they were there interviewing passengers once we landed in Toronto, we didn't bother, we just wanted to get the hell home.

My sister and I and 3 friends are going to Cayo Coco and staying at the Tryp, Oct 3-10 but we are not using Sunwing...."once bitten twice shy".

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

I've flown with them a few times and have never had any problems. They're always my first choice when booking a vacation. I think you could pretty much name any airline and you'll have people lining up to tell you problems they've had. The plane landed right side up in both locations. That's my main concern.

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

partly its your frame of mind....

during my first sunwing trip to Varadero, on the return there was a bit of chaos about the departure gate where it kept toggling back and forth between 2 gates at opposite ends - we found it amusing. If we had a small child in a baby buggy and were tired, i'm sure we would find it anything but amusing.

One thing I notice about Sunwing (and assume it happens to other charter carriers too), when something goes wrong they arent always as customer-oriented as you'd like them to be. Don't know if its primarily because, to offer the prices they do, they have to have a minimum of infrastructure, or don't stress that too much in their staff training but it does happen. And then there's always the customer factor - some people blame them anyway for things beyond their control.

But I think if you ask about any of the charters, you find many many satisfied customers and a few unhappy customers.

toronto
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

I guess you are probably correct as to being in the proper frame of mind however when you are leaving your hotel room at 5:30 and not getting into Toronto at 3 in the morning. You expect the crew not to be as rude as this stewardess was. All for saying this is twice that this has being done to us. My wife was told i was evil and that she should have a talk with me and then she informed the passengers around us that she would try to do the best job under the circumstances. Pure theatrics and i did not even open my mouth again afraid she would call security. My poor child was scared and i had various passengers asking if we were okay, that they had never ever seen anything like that and bowed not to fly Sunwing again. It was a very uncomfortable situation and do not wish it on anyone.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

became leary of sunwing last year this time. selling bookings to corales in santiago but it was shut according to other operators. confirmed it was indeed shut for the fall. people being bumped before, after and during their booked trips. seems to be a regular occurence in the travel business these days. very little protection for the consumers from any tour operator. happy with nolitours so far but I do cross check everything now! carol e.

Cobourg ON
Level Contributor
790 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

All my "BAD" experiences, have been with Signature, and the One Time with Sunwing was Great....

owen sound
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

hi Jewell9342

We were on that same flight from Camaguey in Oct. It wasn't Sunwings falt about the fog. They did there best to get us all home and Ottawa's airport is closed at night with no international flights comeing or going. We went back to cuba in Feb. 08 with Sunwing good flight and on time. Leaving in 14 days for Cuba and going with Sunwing again. The flight staff are friendly and helpful and we have nothing bad to say about them they treat us great

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

I've flown with sunwing 3 times and always look for packages with them. I'm travelling in September with Conquest via Canjet and know absolutely nothing about either as I've never used either of their services before.

I would have chose sunwing for this trip too, but the package was cheaper with conquest and I'd rather use the money I saved to spend on vacation :)

I've never had a bad experience with Sunwing, though honestly I've been lucky with all my trips.

Least favourite is any package with Skyservice. Just seem even more cramped than the others.

Sunwing has always been ontime for our trips (usually arrive early), foods okay for airline food and I've always found the staff very pleasant.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anybody had a bad experience with SUNWING?

Hi mi, I too have used Sunwing 3 times and have never had a problem with them. I try avoiding Skyservice as I do not like the old aircraft they use. I am a big fan of Sunwing's newer planes. The Sunwing staff and flight crew have always been decent when I travel with them as well.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco