We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer needs advice

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer needs advice

First time to Cuba so lots of advice please. Going sometime Jan 09. Live in UK. I may have narrowed search to Melia or Sol Cayo Coco or Iberostar Daquiri. Want 5* but not posh. Don't want loud kids or reserving beds at 7am. Like quality entertainment in the evening.

Also would like to visit Havana. Distance and trips please.

Been (and going again) to Gran Bahia Principe, Mexico as a guide to my likes.

Colin

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,271 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer needs advice

By the sound of it the Melia would be the one for you.

As regards the Havana trip my research shows it to be 180 CUC for a day trip or 295 CUC overnight PLUS a 46 CUC fuel surcharge. Obviously these trips are by plane.

At today's rate the £ is worth 1.52 CUC's (the lowest EVER rate)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer needs advice

Belagio (is that from Vegas)

Is it true I cant take in US$.

Colin

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer needs advice

More----

Havana. Is it a must visit? If so would I be better going closer or maybe doing a two centre holiday?

Colin

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
701 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer needs advice

If Havana is your big thing then a two centre holiday might be your best option. I don't know about Britain but from Canada there are a lot of Havana/Varadero trips. Anywhere other than Jibacoa or Varadero and you are looking at an expensive plane trip to Havana....

essex england
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer needs advice

you can take US$ but they charge you 10% to change it into cuban convertables. we did the overnight to havana, you get time to visit the market and sight see havana,also stay in a nice hotel overnight and see the tropicana show. we have stayed in both the Melia and the krystal laguna, the melia is much smaller and quieter, but we prefer the krystal laguna, and are going back in Dec. As for night time entertainment, it depends on your preference, every carribean hotel we've been to, and we've been to quite a few countries, they all seem like butlins to me, but thats just our opinion, sorry about spelling got my 18mnth grandaughter here and i am rushing

kim

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
97,271 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer needs advice

tripper51:

Sorry have been out so unable to respond to your query earlier. My handle is because of the beautiful water fountains at that hotel.

Check out my Inside Page on currency at the following link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147270-c69372/Cuba:C…

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer needs advice

Sounds like you would want the Melia and 2nd choice the Iberostar but do not expect the food to be up with mexico standards.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer needs advice

Looks like the Melia is ahead at the first bend but we're still running!

Kim, thanks for the help. I bet they all have M Jackson, Maddona & Grease! Maybe what I meant was a bit of live music as well as the usual stuff.

Bellagio, Stayed at Alladin (now changed name) and had great views of fountains.

Still watching this post.

Colin

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
97,271 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer needs advice

tripper51:

The Melia at Cayo Coco is Adults only so that could make a difference to your plans as you sayh you don't want loud kids. It is also a 4 star plus property.

As regards entertainment it's not important to me and I rarely watch the shows so I can't help you too much there other than to say that the shows that I have seen are pretty much on par with those at other caribbean destinations.

As regards the star rating of the hotels in Cuba, I have found that particularly in the Holguin area where I go, they are pretty accurate in the order of rankings. Whilst some people may not agree with the actual star rating of a particular hotel, no 3 star hotel is better than a 3 star plus hotel, and no 4 star hotel is as good as a 4 star plus hotel.

IMHO always go for the higher star rated hotel.

ottawa
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timer needs advice

I have stayed at Gran Bahia Principe In Mayan Riviera as well as Krystal Laguna (not by choice) in Cayo Coco. There is no way to compare these two resorts. They do not even come close. This resort left a terrible taste of the area in my mouth. The only good thing was the beach. The area is in the middle of nowhere. The food was non edible with the exception of breakfast. The rooms were filthy, leaking, and full of bugs. We went with a group of 40 people and we all experience similar issues. The roof of our room had a hole and we would get soaked everytime it rained. They had plastic bags stuffed in the walls of our room. Overall, we had a terrible experience and I would never return to Cayo Coco. Trust me, 5 star there equals like Mexico 2 star at best.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco