We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jelly fish

ontario
2 posts
Save Topic
jelly fish

We saw so many jellyfish on the beach and in the water that it discouraged ocean swimming, which disappointed us. Is this a specific time period phenomena? Is there a time they can be avoided?

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jelly fish

There is no specific time or location when they appear. My understanding is that if there has been a storm at sea it will at times blow them ashore.

We have been there 4 times and on one trip we saw a lot of them - but not every day. On the other 3 trips we saw one small one only

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
697 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jelly fish

ya not sure what brings them in but one day the beach will be littered with them..and then the next day you won't see any.....

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: jelly fish

I went in june last year and never saw any on the beach. hopefully it will be the same when i go this year.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jelly fish

The jelly fish in Cayo coco are harmless but I wouldn't suggest stepping on them or picking them up. We found it interesting walking down the beach and looking closely at these fascinating creatures.

During snorkeling our guide put a very small one in my hands, no stings or other negative effects but best to ask.

We found the jelly fish that were around during our trip Jan 23-30 didn't stop anyone from wandering the beaches or swimming.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jelly fish

Anyone see the doc. on jellyfish the other night? About the oceans warming up and the jellyfish 'blooming' like crazy, invading...about the HUGE jellyfish off the coasts of Japan...

kind of freaky....

6. Re: jelly fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 07:25