We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

Does Cayo Coco have em?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

If there is sand, there are sand fleas.

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

Ive heard of people being bitten but its more likey to be mosquitos than sand fleas, change your towels daily so they do not drag sand into your rooms ( you might bring sand fleas in with you )

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,964 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

I have found sand fleas to be more of a menace than mosquitoes at the beach. They bite you around the ankles.

Definitely follow the advice of justsomeguy1 regarding your beach towels.

essex
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

Do these come out at dusk and night?

I went to the Sol 3 years ago and never had a problem with sand fleas and only got 1 mossie bite.

I went to thailand 2 years ago and got eaten alive on my first night when walking on the beach at night

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

We were at Playa Pesquero in Dec, 2009 and again in Feb. 2010. I had a few sand flea bites each night.

For our trip in Feb, we brought with us a product called "AfterBiteXtra", purchased at a pharmacy. It was quite effective in easing the discomfort from ALL bites.

Their website <www.afterbitextra.com> lists retail outlets where it can be purchased

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

I agree with Bellagio....more sand fleas than mosquitoes.

They seem to start late in the afternoon, around 3-4pm and into the evening. We got eaten pretty bad at the NH Krystal.

I agree about the towels. If you don't change your towels for fresh ones before the towel hut closes, hang them on the balcony!

Afterbite definitely works to ease the bites and I have used it, but I am not keen on putting ammonia (main ingredient) on my body. Rum works good in a pinch - to drink & dab on the bites :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

to Melissa,

Do you use dark rum or white rum?

Rum comes from sugar. Are the insects attracted to the sugar ? Does it not get sticky ?

Another hint : do NOT use any scented lotions, soap, or other stuff.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

Hola

forget the sand fleas and mosquitoes...they are tame when you compare the bite of a ju juenes(I'm sure is spelled wrong)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39609063@N08/3699331954/

Some say they are sand fleas, wrong. These little guys, are the size of a very small grain of pepper and are at dusk....they seem to pick some people and just feast away....

cheers.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

rrrichar, i've been bitten by these to. I have seen them covering flowers, bushes and trees, even the nice foilage by the pools which is how I suspect we get them on us just brushing by them. The little flesh coloured spiders leave the same bites but a bit redder.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone heard about these sand fleas?

Hola

Yep that's them...they leave me alone..but love my wife. Have only seen them cayo santa maria.

but when the wind stops, and it's dusk....stay way from the plants....the little guys are hungry.

cheers, will see them in a few more weeks....up close again.