We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

I am looking at booking to go in August, though I am a bit concerned about Hurricanes, but we can only go in the childrens summer holidays and I really want to go to Cuba - anyone had a Hurricane or really bad weather in August, is it worth the risk?

We are looking at either the Tryp or the Sol - any recommendations would be great

We are beach people and love the beach, our daughter will be 14 so somewhere that she won't get bored, so good pool areas and activities - though she is easily pleased, especially if there are other children there as she makes friends easily.

Thanks for your help

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

It is worth the risk , ive been going in summer for years and have never bumped into a hurrican , id chose the Tryp its a bigger resort with more to do for the kids

ontario
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

Tryp lots for kids .staff keep them busy.I also go during hurricane season.We have been for the last 9 years in oct never a problem always great weather

ottawa
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

Hi, regarding August I can't say, been to cayo coco twice before in Jan and Feb and going again next week.

We always stay at the SOL because we have visited all the resorts on the strip and it is still the one we prefer.

In your case, because you have children, I do believe that TRYP would be a better choice because it is a much bigger and busier resort. We go as a couple and prefer the very small and quieter setting of the SOL.

You can walk all along the beach and go visit the other resorts. We even ate at the Tryp buffet one day, just to compare; the variety of food was bigger but the quality was same same in our opinion.

As far as the beach is concerned though, I would give the SOL a plus. It is less crowded. Nothing stops you from taking a walk down anyway. We found the BLAU to be quite attractive with a unique spanish/european style (it is beside the TRYP on your left when you face the ocean). The SOL is the second to the right (after Krystal Lagunas).

I enjoy going to Cayo Coco because the resorts are not one on top of each other like on the main land.

Hope that helps, have a good Tryp, I mean trip Haha.

Christine (Ottawa CAN)

south west england
Level Contributor
434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

just booked the sol for the 8th year running so hope that says it all...it is a lovely hotel great staff,lovely food,great beach,what more could you ask for,,we always go in august and fingers crossed we have always been fine..if you need to know anything about sol would be happy to help..and we always go with teenagers and they have a great time,

midlands
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

could you tell me how far is it to walk to the tryp from the sol cayo coco as we are going in feb fro 2 weeks and any other info you think we may need to make our holiday great

Thanks

Pete

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

10-15 min walk along the beech

ottawa
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

Depends how fast you walk and WHO you walk with LOL

Yes, about 10 minutes... a very nice walk :)

ottawa
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

Depends how fast you walk and WHO you walk with LOL

Yes, about 10 minutes... a very nice walk :)

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

I was at the Iberostar Daiquiri in Sept 2002 and we caught the tail end of Hurricane Lili. Wow! it was amazing, Incredible wind and rain and the lightning was the best firework display I've ever seen.

Cuba does have very good evacuation procedures in place if it should get really bad.

10. Re: Tryp Cayo Coco or Sol Cayo Coco in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco