We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to havana from cayo coco

merseyside
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travelling to havana from cayo coco

is it possible to travel from cayo coco to havana- how long would it take and how much- 3 of us travelling. not been to cuba before- how does there currency work, is 1 cuban peso the same as 1 dollar?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

1CUC is worth about 1.11US$ (1.08 plus de costs of the transaction)

For all your questions about currency, I suggest you read this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cub…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c69372/Cuba…

As for the travel from Cayo Coco to Habana, you can do it by plane:

www.cubajet.com/airlines/aerocaribbean.asp

By land, you can rent a car or go to Ciego de Avila and take the Viazul bus:

www.viazul.cu

By car, if you know where you are going, it should take about 6h. By taxi then by bus, it should take about 7h30.

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

Your thomas cook rep will sell it as an excursion , you can either do it in a day or have an overnight stay , either way they will fly you there

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

Hi we just got back on the 13th Jan from Sol Cayo Coco and Thomas Cook were doing flights to Havana, only a bus trip over 2 days, 7 hours each way.

With numerous stops on the way.

It would have cost us 2 adults to do this trip over $670 Cuban peso's.

Hotels in Havana aren't A/Inclusive,

So you have the added cost of eating and drinking out on top.

We didn't do it as way to expensive added cost, & time consuming maybe another holiday to a resort nearer another time.

£1.00 = $1.26 exchange rate at hotel bank.

Hope that helps

Ann

merseyside
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

hi ann, yes thanks that was helpful.... just a few more little questions if you dont mind! how did you find the hotel, have read a few bad reviews but also good ones. what did you do re tipping? any other trips that you may have done?- that did seem expensive, did you take sterling and change money in hotel? are visa/mastercard accepted? did you book any of the speciality resturants? and finally..... sorry, i am a smoker would i be best buying duty free or can you buy them in the hotel...... thanks for your time, hope to hear from you, looking forward to cuba we go in 7 weeks.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,863 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

annmhopwelsh:

£1.00 = $1.26 exchange rate at hotel bank

===============================================================

I can't believe that is true. During the two week you were there the exchange rate at a Bank in Cuba varied between 1.38245 on Jan 1st to 1.41971 CUC's to £1 on January 13th.

If you only received 1.26 trust me you were ripped off, even it was a front desk exchange. Where did you make the exchange and did you obtain a receipt?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

1.) Ann @ #3: £1.00 = 1.26 CUC exchange rate at hotel bank is an enormous rip-off. Today at the bank in Cuba £1.00 = 1.44 CUC. I assume you exchanged your GBPs over-the-counter at the resort and not at a Cadeca where the exchange rate is properly controlled by the government.

2.) mollyadam @ #4: All your Money Exchange questions were already answered by Gengen in Post #1, simply read the links she supplied.

For tipping advice have a read through this: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c114818/Cub…

If you're hooked on UK brands of cigarettes then don't plan on finding them in Cuba - buy them at the Duty Free before you arrive.

Cheers,

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,863 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

Terry:

There is a Cadeca at this hotel so no need to use the front desk. I just hope that molly has typed in the wrong exchange rate.

As you may know I record the exchange rates daily, so the rates I have quoted are 100% accurate for the duration of her stay.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

Since there's a Cadeca at the resort then as you say it must be a typo, Bellagio - not even the worst Cadeca teller would dare to scam that much money...

Cheers,

Terry

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

Well we were well and truly ripped off then, makes it all more a poor experience. We changed sterling at the bank on the sol cayo coco and no we weren't given a receipt. Never again, nothing like an old fool eh.

10. Re: travelling to havana from cayo coco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco